Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-15-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
SPNBaby
SPNBaby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Kobo Touch 905 Help!

I found my kobo touch 905 in a box this afternoon.

Plugged it in and was happy it worked(not sure the last time I charged/used it!)
For some reason I decided to factory restore it and now cannot get past the set up screen. I keep getting a network error when trying to set up wirelessly.
When trying via my MacBook, its not showing as connecting via the kobo app.
I'm kicking myself as it was working fine about half hour ago.
Have I completely screwed up and lost the use of it?

Thanks for any help.
SPNBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:21 PM   #2
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
the kobo app doesn't recognize it, but does the MacBook show it as a mounted drive?

If so you can manually load a software update just find the one most recent for your Touch from: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kobo_Firmware_Releases make sure you grab the right one as there are more than one Touch 905.

You'll need to enable hidden folders to see the folder on the kobo to copy the update files to:
Open the folder where you want to search hidden files.
Press the Command + Shift + . (period) keys at the same time.
The hidden files will show up as translucent in the folder.
If you want to obscure the files again, press the same Command + Shift + . (period) combination.

You'll want to unzip the update file, and copy the contents of the resulting folder to the .kobo folder on the kobo drive.

If the Macbook doesn't mount the Kobo Touch the above will obviously not work.

The reason you are running into this issue is there was a change in wifi protocol support, unless your Touch was updated at the time of this change, its restore partition only carries the old now unsupported protocol.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
SPNBaby
SPNBaby began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the quick reply!

It was showing up on my Mac as a drive, just not in the app.

I'm not sure what happened, but I powered off and gave it another try and it suddenly decided to connect to the kobo app.

I'm keeping this on the small chance it happens again.

After trying to explain it to kobo help, I honestly thought I'd just given my self a new paper weight.

Thanks for your help.
SPNBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Factory resetting for no good reason is not at good idea. Only factory reset if something is wrong that cannot be fixed any other way.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 09:12 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Factory resetting for no good reason is not at good idea. Only factory reset if something is wrong that cannot be fixed any other way.
Why not? A factory reset does no harm to the device. It just resets everything and prompts to to do the setup. And for a device you don't know the status of, which the OP implies was the situation ("I found my kobo touch 905 in a box"), is a reasonable idea.

I feel like I'm repeating my self for no good reason, but, I really wish you'd stop throwing your "wisdom" in when you have no idea of what is going on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
The reason you are running into this issue is there was a change in wifi protocol support, unless your Touch was updated at the time of this change, its restore partition only carries the old now unsupported protocol.
That is probably why the WiFi wasn't connecting, but, the update would not have helped. Kobo does not update the restore partition at any time. A factory reset of these devices will restore the original firmware. For a N905 Touch, that is 1.9.11 or 1.9.12 or something like that.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo touch