Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
The Oil Spill and Sushi

I hear that the Gulf area is a major source of shrimp and tuna for the US, along with other seafood. I realize that the seafood is tested for contamination before it gets to my plate, but I'm still concerned about the impact of the oil spill on seafood healthiness. As a pescetarian, I eat significantly more seafood than average also.

What do you think? Should I be concerned?
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 AM   #2
CathrynLouis
Enthusiast
CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPad
Yes you should. Check with your favorite sushi houses and ask where they are getting their seafood now. They are going to have to get supplied from elsewhere. The Gulf is a catastrophe, and the supply from there will be severely limited for the foreseeable future.
CathrynLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
oh, I think the vendors are going to be VERY careful with everything to the point that there will be shortages
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:40 AM   #4
obs20
Wizard
obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obs20 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 600, Nook ST, Toshiba Excite 10.1 AT 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I hear that the Gulf area is a major source of shrimp and tuna for the US, along with other seafood. I realize that the seafood is tested for contamination before it gets to my plate, but I'm still concerned about the impact of the oil spill on seafood healthiness. As a pescetarian, I eat significantly more seafood than average also.

What do you think? Should I be concerned?
How about sushi made with prosciutto?
obs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Very scary stuff.

Even if the tests come out negative for the food being contaminated, I do not think I am going to risk feeding the tuna to my kids.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Problem is, some food distribution systems have such long supply chains, it can be almost impossible to determine where a particular item in a multi-item product actually comes from. This goes for grocers, restaurants and small eateries, too, which often contract with food suppliers and really don't know who's supplying the suppliers (and will tell you anything when you ask).

Despite the fact that I'd like to eat more seafood, the contaminants that are creeping into our shallow and deep sea ranges are making all seafood more and more suspect by the day. I was backing off of some items, like tuna, because of mercury concerns, long before the oil spill.

One more source of sustenance, being steadily ruined by the desire to waste oil.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
devilsadvocate
Complicated Warlock
devilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role modeldevilsadvocate is a good role model

Device: HP Mini 1101, Droid X rooted, GTab rooted/VEGAnTAB Ginger Edition/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post

One more source of sustenance, being steadily ruined by the desire to waste oil.
It's not a desire to waste oil but rather a desire not to, perversely enough...

They could've capped that POS a month ago; they're not trying to stop the ecological damage, they're trying to stop the spill in a way that allows them to keep the oil.

I could wish for them to go bankrupt, but then there would be even less competition in that industry and we all know how that works...
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #8
CathrynLouis
Enthusiast
CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.CathrynLouis writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPad
I just want the Gulf back the way it was. Sigh...
CathrynLouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
Crescent_Hawk0
Crescent_Hawk0 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by CathrynLouis View Post
I just want the Gulf back the way it was. Sigh...
Agreed, I live almost on top of the Gulf of Mexico, it's about an hour or so away. No fishing for Tuna or Amberjack for me for a while and all of the wildlife that is getting killed. It's a nightmare that just keeps breaking my heart.
Crescent_Hawk0 is offline   Reply With Quote