Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #31
tesseract420
tesseract420 is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-500
Gutenmark?

Putting the issue of hyphenation aside, doesn't Gutenmark pretty do what you're looking for? (http://www.sandroid.org/Gutenmark). Gutenmark will take a Gutenberg text file and give you LaTex output. From my own experience, the text file has to follow Gutenberg's format (I'm not even sure what that means, since it's not an encoding issue and a text file is a text file....) otherwise the output may not work.
tesseract420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #32
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
Unfortunately, grumble grumble, it wouldn't be as easy to install Prince on this computer as on my home computer, since they only offer a debian package for 32-bit linux, and I'm using 64-bit Ubuntu at the moment...
That should be ok... it's the other way that would be problematic, no?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #33
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Well the GDebi package manager isn't letting me install it. It says "wrong architecture". I might be able to install the "Linux (static)" version, though... haven't tried. I'm going to wait until I can try on my other computer first, to see if it's worthwhile. In the meantime, I'm reading the documentation, which looks somewhat promising.

Mind you, I'm not thinking this is a replacement for what we're after, but it might be a good temporary option, since ePub > HTML > PDF via Prince would be pretty easy to script, I think.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #34
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract420 View Post
Putting the issue of hyphenation aside, doesn't Gutenmark pretty do what you're looking for? (http://www.sandroid.org/Gutenmark). Gutenmark will take a Gutenberg text file and give you LaTex output. From my own experience, the text file has to follow Gutenberg's format (I'm not even sure what that means, since it's not an encoding issue and a text file is a text file....) otherwise the output may not work.
Eeek! This thread has gotten completely jumbled up between the text-processing/HTML->LaTeX stuff and the rest of our shenanigans.

I wasn't pleased at all with Gutenmark in the past. For some text-processing stuff, pacify already seems to work better... and manual fixing-up can easily enough take the file the rest of the way.

So while it does have the same aims... I've found it an inconstant mistress.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #35
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract420 View Post
"Gutenberg's format" probably means certain conventions for use in a text file to represent things you can't otherwise do in a plain text file, like asterisks for *bold* and underscores for _italics_.

I'm not personally interested in it, however, since I'm interested in ePub or HTML --> LaTeX --> PDF route, not plain text ---> LaTeX --> PDF route. I don't have much by way of Plain Text books I want to prettyify, but instead, existing ePubs or similar (some of which may even have been processed by Gutenmark...)

And the samples on Gutenmark's homepage look terrible, IMHO. Haven't they heard of paragraph indentation?
Advert
Old 09-12-2009, 12:11 AM   #36
frabjous
Wizard

Experimenting with Prince

I've now got Prince XML running on my home computer. (They offer a free download for personal use only.) So far, Prince XML seems to offer an interesting compromise. Perhaps I'll post a new topic on it, though, to avoid derailing this topic further...

EDIT: All right, here's the new thread for those who may be interested.

Last edited by frabjous; 09-12-2009 at 01:25 AM.