Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Glo's minimum light setting too bright for a dark room?
Yes 92 54.44%
No 61 36.09%
Undecided 16 9.47%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #46
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
its too bright, especially whenyour trying to get a young baby to sleep and anything too bright to attracts her attention. I have tried the paperwhite and love the way it goes so low, I can understand why amazon made the paperwhite light permanently on as if you pick it up at its lowest setting then there is no fiddling trying to find the light control.

Also on the Glo, they have given you so much control over settings to the point where you can change your font to wingdings. So why not give us the power to dim the light to almost of, or brighten it to the point that you get a tan !
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #47
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
After trying my Kobo I decided to use the minimum +1 level of light which is what works for me
I use this setting too, the lowest setting isn't bright enough for me, even in a completely dark room.

I can understand some people complaining about the light being too bright because everybody's eyesight is different, but is it also possible that there is some variance in the hardware? Maybe some Kobo Glo's really are brighter or dimmer than others?
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #48
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
I have tried the paperwhite and love the way it goes so low, I can understand why amazon made the paperwhite light permanently on as if you pick it up at its lowest setting then there is no fiddling trying to find the light control.
At first I couldn't believe that the Kindle Paperwhite would keep its light on all the time, I thought that would decrease battery life unnecessarily. But I found a thread on the Amazon forums talking about it: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_...x32COF8YL5D7R2

I've only read the first few pages of that thread but it seems that indeed the light is always on. Some people don't like this, some claim that it gives them a headache. Others say that the lowest setting is still too bright for them. Some have reported a bug where the light stays on even when the PW is in sleep mode. Some feel that the always on light is wasting battery power (even though in theory the LEDs should be using very little power at their lowest setting. Seems all is not so rosy in Paperwhite land...
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:32 AM   #49
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
There is definitely some variation in the brightness on the Kindle Paperwhite. There have been a few people who have exchanged them and they get the new one delivered before they have to send the old one back so have two units in front of them to compare. I've no idea if the same is true of the Glo though?

key thing is that everyone's eyesight is different, so it's hard to please everyone. On the whole though it does sound as if the light on the Glo is a little too bright, hopefully it will be something they can alter with an update to the firmware.... even if it is though who knows how long before they actually get round to a fix for it.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:20 AM   #50
goesta
goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!goesta , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo Glo
I would like to opine that the problem may not simply be one of brightness, though I agree that there ought to be more bottom range and that anything above 60% or so is practically useless. The major problem, which may or may not be endemic (can't compare to Paperwhite, don't have one ... yet), is that even at low levels the black font begins to wash out and take on a bluish hue. I suspect that a slightly warmer light temperature might have made text appear (at least psychologically) more "black". Or else it's an issue with how exactly the light is distributed. Since we are using eReaders to avoid backlight, this is still the lesser of evils, but somewhat disappointing nonetheless. I avoid reading my Glo in total darkness.

Color temperature brings up an interesting point I noticed. If your ambient light is LED or otherwise cool, the (illuminated) Glo looks quite pleasantly white. Under regular incandescent, it looks too blue. I wonder if the reverse is true on the Paperwhite.
goesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #51
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The Paperwhite does seem to have got the temperature of the light a little better than the Glo (whereas the Glo has the upper hand on the evenness), but with the PW you still get people complaining that the text looks a little washed out compared to previous Kindle models.

The fact is, we're still pretty early with front-lit ereader tech, none is perfect, but at the same time, both the Glo and the PW are a huge improvement on using a standard e-reader with a light attached.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #52
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by goesta View Post
I would like to opine that the problem may not simply be one of brightness, though I agree that there ought to be more bottom range and that anything above 60% or so is practically useless. The major problem, which may or may not be endemic (can't compare to Paperwhite, don't have one ... yet), is that even at low levels the black font begins to wash out and take on a bluish hue. I suspect that a slightly warmer light temperature might have made text appear (at least psychologically) more "black". Or else it's an issue with how exactly the light is distributed. Since we are using eReaders to avoid backlight, this is still the lesser of evils, but somewhat disappointing nonetheless. I avoid reading my Glo in total darkness.

Color temperature brings up an interesting point I noticed. If your ambient light is LED or otherwise cool, the (illuminated) Glo looks quite pleasantly white. Under regular incandescent, it looks too blue. I wonder if the reverse is true on the Paperwhite.

Hm, I also have the Cybook Odyssey and it has the same problem: the light is too bright in the dark (if you don't use the white on black night mode). It is even very slightly brighter on its lowest setting than the Glo but the Cybook does not have the bluish tint of the Glo. Its light is very white. But my eyes hurt just the same so for me at least, the problem really is the level of brightness.

I was so happy to have escaped all these numerous problems with the Paperwhite and am very happy with my choice of the Kobo and Cybook over it but now I find myself longing for the low brightness level of the Kindle. I'm waiting for the 2nd generation and hope that they work out the kinks while maintaining the possible low level of light!
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote