Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you use the list of chapter titles in the ToC?
Yes I do, and I want to see the list 65 67.01%
No I don't, but still want to see the list 9 9.28%
I don't use the list, and don't care whether it's included 13 13.40%
I don't use the list, and think it's a waste of space 7 7.22%
I prefer not to see a long list of chapter titles. 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Do you use chapter lists?

Many of the books I have done for the MobileRead library have many chapters in them - Lorna Doone has 75 - and as I do the books by hand it is a lot of work to put all their names in the Table of Contents.

I think that most of us accept that ebooks are not print books and are not bound by the same conventions, and I'd like to find out whether people actually use the chapter links in an ebook ToC. After all, every ebook reader (as far as I know) will open at the last place in the ebook read, and will allow one to put books marks in.

Please note that I am not discussing whether chapters should have their titles shown at the beginning of the chapter. I'm only trying to find out whether people actually use a list of chapter titles in the Table of Contents.

PS Thanks for the comments so far. I should have mentioned of course that I'm talking about novels or stories, not non-fiction and not anthologies.

Last edited by AlexBell; 08-17-2012 at 06:21 AM. Reason: typo
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I've never yet used the chapter list in an ebook. Probably never will if we're talking fiction books, but maybe, just maybe I some day might in a non-fiction book.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I use the chapter list quite often. Sometimes because I read on multiple devices that I don't sync, but more often because I want to go back to some point in the book.
If the chapters have names, not just numbers I appreciate the list even more!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Depends on the book.

Most often for short story collections/anthologies. I highlight the chapter title in the TOC to indicate which ones I've read.

Also occasionally for omnibuses, so I can keep track of where I am in which book in the omnibus if I decide to abandon one early, sometimes using the same title-highlighting trick to indicate what/how far I've already read so I can clean up any place-holder bookmarks that might otherwise confuse me on where I really left off.

Non-fiction is also a firm yes, for much the same reasons. Admittedly I don't own much in e-book format, but I do extensively use the TOC when available and decently-fleshed-out to navigate all the ones I've tried.

For single volume novels, which are probably the thing you're really talking about, it depends. For many novels with a straightforward linear narrative, it's something I'd appreciate seeing if the chapters are indeed titled anything more fancy than "Chapter 1; Chapter 2". It does help keep track of the story, IMHO, if you go from "Entering the Fearsome Forest of Fire" to "Interlude Back at the Palace" and you can more easily skip ahead to the good parts upon the re-read.

And for something like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series which has a bunch of alternating viewpoint characters who each get chapters titled with the POV name, I'd consider it fairly essential to include those in a TOC for future easy reference so I can flip back and forth between Character B's chapters if I decide I want to go back over their plotline in particular.

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-17-2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: There's a difference between overlapping and alternating which I usually remember before midnight.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #5
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
I've never yet used the chapter list in an ebook. Probably never will if we're talking fiction books, but maybe, just maybe I some day might in a non-fiction book.
I mainly read non-fiction, and indeed use chapter lists relatively frequently.

Quote:
Many of the books I have done for the MobileRead library have many chapters in them - Lorna Doone has 75 - and as I do the books by hand it is a lot of work to put all their names in the Table of Contents.
Wouldn't a Regex help tremendously and reduce the chance for errors?
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #6
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
I'm glad you made this poll. Personally I never use chapter lists. However, I still make one for all the ebooks I make. It's a little unnecessary especially when one is generated that the reader can access without having it in the actual book. Yet when I make the books I feel like they're more "finished" with a ToC in front.

So I answered no, but I like to see the list, if only to gauge how big the chapters in the book I'll be reading are.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I use the chapter list quite often. Sometimes because I read on multiple devices that I don't sync, but more often because I want to go back to some point in the book.
If the chapters have names, not just numbers I appreciate the list even more!
Thanks, Asawi. I'm afraid I don't provide chapter lists in the ToC in the books I do if the chapters don't have titles. I really can't see the point and think the list of numbers looks ugly.

After looking at the early responses I may have to think again.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #8
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
I mainly read non-fiction, and indeed use chapter lists relatively frequently.

Wouldn't a Regex help tremendously and reduce the chance for errors?
It probably would if I had the slightest idea how to use Regex functions. My eyes just glaze over when I try to learn about them.

I normally do a lot of copying and pasting to make HTML markup templates, and then fill in the details by hand.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Yes. I use them for syncing between devices. I'll also check the TOC to see if there is a lot of fluff at the end so I know how many pages are left to read.

But i really like a TOC because my currnet reader will display chapter breaks, so I know how far I have to read to the end of the chapter. I miss a TOC when it isn't present.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I want it there, always. Even though I use it rarely.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM   #11
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Can't you get whatever you're producing the ebooks with to auto generate the table of contents based on the content headers?

I'll admit to been rather ignorant of what software is used for ebooks, but open office, word, lyx, latex all support auto generation of table of contents prior to exporting to whatever output formats they support.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I use it sometimes.
I prefer that books have it but I don't throw tantrums if they don't.
It's a "nice to have" rather than a "must have".
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
RichL
Evangelist
RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichL ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: back to x51v
Not only do I prefer not to see them, I remove them unless there is a specific reason to keep them.
RichL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I switch between phone and tablet and computer...and they syncing of position does not always work. Chapter links help.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
Depends on the book.

Most often for short story collections/anthologies.

Non-fiction is also a firm yes, for much the same reasons.
My thought exactly - for pdf I end up creating the list myself via bookmarks, which is not ideal. For novels, I'd probably never check it.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote