Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-27-2011, 01:08 AM   #1
Heather56
Heather56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wi-Fi
How do I upload books onto the Kindle 3?

If I were to use the books people post on here, how would I go about uploading it to my kindle 3? Which format do I save it in and how do I get it on the device?
Heather56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Choose the Mobi/PRC books and sideload via the USB cord provided with the Kindle. Just plug it in and drag the book file to the "documents" folder on your K3, "safe eject" or "unmount" it depending on what OS you're running, and you should be good to go.

If the book you want isn't available in Mobi/PRC, but can be had in another format, you can always use Calibre to convert it to something the Kindle can read.

Hope this helps and welcome to MobileRead!
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
mike_smith
mike_smith began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Will standard pdf's work or do I need to convert them to a different format? For example: OReilly.C.Sharp.4.0.in.a.Nutshell.4th.Edition.Feb. 2010.pdf, can I just copy that to the kindle and read it do I need to convert it?
mike_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather56 View Post
If I were to use the books people post on here, how would I go about uploading it to my kindle 3? Which format do I save it in and how do I get it on the device?
You have two choices:
  1. As ATDrake said, you can download them on your computer and copy them to your K3. Simply connect the K3 via USB and it will mount as an "external drive". Then copy the downloaded book to the K3's "documents" folder and "eject" the K3 (method varies depending on your computer's OS).
  2. Alternately, you can download Kindle/MobiPocket format ebooks (AZW, MOBI, PRC) directly using the K3's web browser. This works with some sights (it does with MobleRead) and not others depending on the website's server configuration. The K3's browser will save the downloaded file to the proper "documents" folder.

In any case, you need to download a format that the K3 can handle. These are the Kindle/MobiPocket format (AZW, MOBI, or PRC extensions), PDF, and TXT. Of these, only the Kindle/MobiPocket family are true ebook formats. PDF is a document format with strict pagination and is difficult to read on readers with small displays if the PDF is formatted for larger pages sizes (e.g. 8-1/2 x 11, large textbook page sizes, ...) as most are.

BTW, the common jargon usage is:
  • upload: copy the file from a general use computer (e.g. PC, Mac, ...) to a server, either web or network server.
  • download: copy a file from a server, web or network, to a computer or device
  • sideload: (new jargon word) copy a file from a general use computer (your PC or Mac or ...) to a dedicated use device (e.g. ebook reader, phone, audio player, ...) or to another general use computer.

Last edited by dwig; 02-27-2011 at 09:19 AM.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #5
mike_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
PDF is a document format with strict pagination and is difficult to read on readers with small displays if the PDF is formatted for larger pages sizes (e.g. 8-1/2 x 11, large textbook page sizes, ...) as most are.
Can you convert a pdf to MOBI to avoid the above?
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_smith View Post
You can (Calibre will do it, for example), but the results aren't always great - you might get the page header/footer included, for example. If you're prepared to put some effort into the conversion, Calibre has options to allow you to specify which bits of text not to include.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #7
mike_smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
You can (Calibre will do it, for example), but the results aren't always great - you might get the page header/footer included, for example. If you're prepared to put some effort into the conversion, Calibre has options to allow you to specify which bits of text not to include.
Cool thanks mate I will def try it out!
Old 02-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_smith View Post
True, but as Avantman42 correctly noted, the results are often poor. In general, you should avoid downloading a PDF when there is a true ebook format available. If there is only a PDF available then I recommend that you first try to read the book as a PDF. If that proves impractical then try converting it to MOBI with Calibre or MobiPocket Creator.

When a book is not burdened with DRM (Digital Rights Management), Calibre can usually convert it to MOBI for use on a Kindle. When the original is a true ebook format (e.g. ePub, FB2, ...) the conversions are usually very good, if not excellent.

Calibre is also a library manager and can do the sideloading to a Kindle, and most other ereader devices, over USB for you. It can also be configured to email ebooks to your Kindle's email account so that they will download when you sync your device over WiFi or 3g (preferably WiFi because that way there's no cost) with Amazon's servers.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, upload ebooks