Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #16
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag View Post
Not a surprising conclusion, but some interesting numbers about the ebook reading population in the US:

From http://www.marketingprofs.com/charts...savvy-educated

More numbers on the linked page.

I was always taught that you could not have more than 100% of anything...
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #17
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
#1 nope
#2 nope
#3 nope
#4 duh, I'm here, aren't I? LOL
#5 nope, but working on it (hubby has masters, though)
#6 almost smack dab in the middle of that one.
#7 nope, I'm an innie, not an outie

I guess I don't count though, since I don't actually own a dedicated device and only read on my computer.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscoach View Post
#7 nope, I'm an innie, not an outie
Dear GAWD! Have I misunderstood and answered that question incorrectly all these years?

Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:05 PM   #19
frisp
frisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to beholdfrisp is a splendid one to behold

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Was thinking that too........
frisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:59 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Dear GAWD! Have I misunderstood and answered that question incorrectly all these years?

You ain't the only one!!!!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:12 AM   #21
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Really? Not surprising?

I am not in a single category.

"Clearly, users of the current generation of e-readers are highly educated, upscale, and Internet savvy"

A huge raspberry here. I am none of the above.

This article perpetuates the idea that the average person isnt intelligent enough to use them, nor could they afford them if they were.

Its a book reader, people, not rocket science! All thats needed is a desire to read.

Period.
I don't qualify either for any of those categories... but, I have a logical mind (like most women) and found an easier way to carry lots of books as well as ease of reading them (as in easy to carry, when you sneeze you can just wipe 'it' off and you don't have to search for the place where you left off).

Unfortunately, Australia is way behind (as usual).. None of the large computer/electronic stores knows about such a device as an e-reader... I recently went to a small privately run computer store, and he just had this uncomprehending look on his face... Maybe I should have said 'kindle' instead of e-reader.. although I doubt that would have made any difference...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:11 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
That's obviously false. You can have more than 100% inflation, and more than 100% error...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #23
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Clearly someone's been lying on surveys. Unless y'all have been hiding information about your massive hills of wealth y'all have. 'Cause I and my mom bomb out on the income level but can answer yes, unequivocally, to all but the last one - I can, she can't.

Derek
These stats don't mean 87% of people in the survey make over 100K. it means that they are 87% more likely than average to make over 100K as a total household. so if 15% of households makes over 100k on average (which is approximately correct) then 28% of the households in the survey do.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #24
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd just like to take this time to apologize to everyone for bringing down the average.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Yea, I just don't get that. How can 199% of ebook readers be something?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #26
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yea, I just don't get that. How can 199% of ebook readers be something?

BOb

that table doesn't state the percentage of people in some category...it's the percentage above the average in that category.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
that table doesn't state the percentage of people in some category...it's the percentage above the average in that category.
ah... the average of what? Non ebook readers... everyone in the world?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #28
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'm really not quite sure why folks on this forum take so personally what the data in that study suggest. Those numbers seem perfectly realistic to me, even if I don't fit in every category neatly. In fact, it's a little boggling that anyone would expect membership here to be representative of the ebook device market on the whole. Reasons for buying electronic devices can be quite different from those for joining backpatting support communities.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #29
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I think the idea is that if the "average" is, say $100, and you have $150, then you are 50% above average. If, however you have $250 you have 150% more than normal.

And I really dislike they way they've done the stats; why couldn't they have given the percentages for ebook reading population as absolutes, and if they really had to, as a separate comparison, those for the rest of the population.

Oh, that's it. It wouldn't have made as nice a headline as 199%.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:18 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I'm really not quite sure why folks on this forum take so personally ... Reasons for buying electronic devices can be quite different from those for joining backpatting support communities.
There, now. It'll be okay.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote