Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 12:23 PM   #451
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Yep the Kindle Keyboard has 4 options for screen rotation, so in any direction.

(As shown here).
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #452
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

(As shown here).
You're right, now I remember ...

But sold, once the Touch got the landscape mode.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:11 PM   #453
blue_skies
Evangelist
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
May I know why?

Unless you're using a case that folds in an specific way, I don't see where the problem is ...

And most cases noticed that anyway and were designed with that in mind.
I have the Kindle 3 and prefer to read lying in bed on my side. I have my K3 in a stand and switch from one side to the other, and so I need to be able to rotate it both ways depending upon the side on which I am lying.

I can't stand reading in bed sitting up, which it seems the more common way people read in bed. The ergonomics are poor and I'd rather not hold the Kindle... hence the reading on my side using a stand.
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #454
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The Paperwhite also has Landscape mode. While Reading, you can find it by touching that icon that looks like the home button on the Touch. It's the fourth one down the list.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #455
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

(As shown here).
The K4B has excellent contrast and non of the issues the Paperwhite has. I love mine! I think everyone should have one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #456
replica145
Bake 'Em Away Toys
replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.replica145 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW (Books) & iPad 3 (Comics)
I just replaced by PW because of as big blue blotch on the screen. CS told me they are aware of the issue and they are now being tested. I wonder if this is true or if I am being placated. Anyone else been told this by CS?

Also, I don't have to wait, they sent it right away by 2-day shipping, which surprised me.
replica145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #457
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post
I just replaced by PW because of as big blue blotch on the screen. CS told me they are aware of the issue and they are now being tested. I wonder if this is true or if I am being placated. Anyone else been told this by CS?

Also, I don't have to wait, they sent it right away by 2-day shipping, which surprised me.
This is probably true Amazon doesn't usually sit back and let a huge issues go on. Someone(s) screwed up and with a huge amount of returns Amazon knows it and is probably working on it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #458
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The K4B has excellent contrast and non of the issues the Paperwhite has. I love mine! I think everyone should have one.
Blossom, sometimes I think you've got a rare pearl and, well... Do you want to sell your used K4?
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #459
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
Blossom, sometimes I think you've got a rare pearl and, well... Do you want to sell your used K4?
No it's true, Just look at the threads here, Almost everyone who has own a Silver and Black will tell you the black has a lighter background and blacker text. I've yet to see one person say the opposite. Seeing the K4B is international that means everyone can have one.

Check out this thread and this one and mine own here

As for my old K4S. I don't know what I'll do with it. It has a stain back and poor contrast. I feel bad selling it as I don't think it's worth much.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #460
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm betting next year's 2nd generation Paperwhite will have 5 to 8 LEDs, some on the bottom of the screen just as they are currently, and the rest on the top; and the light distribution will be nearly perfect.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #461
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'm betting next year's 2nd generation Paperwhite will have 5 to 8 LEDs, some on the bottom of the screen just as they are currently, and the rest on the top; and the light distribution will be nearly perfect.
This is what I was thinking since the light is even on the other side of the lights, but I'm not sure if it would conflict with the technology they use to reflect the light back onto the screen since the LED side is different from the non-LED side.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/28/a...hnology-video/
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:34 PM   #462
bkilian
Zealot
bkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notesbkilian can name that song in three notes

Device: Sony PRS/505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Here is a sample of the bleeped up text I was talking about. This is Helvetica witH brightness set at 17/24.

Text sample (600 x 300 px)

Text sample (1200 x 600 px): Larger image

Compare "perhaps" in the 3rd line with "some four" in the 7th line. Considerable difference in font weights although all of the text is supposed to be the same weight. Thiese differences in weight are more pronounced in the lighter, thinner fonts.
Aah, I noticed that at times too. It went away when I set it to refresh every page. It seems to be related to the way they do the partial refreshes.
bkilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #463
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Elipsa, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by replica145 View Post

When I talked to a CS rep on Friday, they claimed they hadn't heard of this issue. I wonder if they are all admitting to the issue now, or if it just varies by rep.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #464
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
I just got my PW a few hours ago, and so far, I love it! Sure it has some unevenness at the bottom, but I'm only aware of it from reading about it. I doubt it would enter my thoughts otherwise. My last front lit ereader was a Sony 700, and before that a Sony 505 w/ a light wedge, so this is a great improvement in my book.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #465
Psykhe
Connoisseur
Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psykhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4, KindlePW
I got my PW today and seem to have been in luck. At least I am happy with it.

I thought I might go a a bit more "scientific" with my review of its screen and its comparison to my 2 year old Kindle Keyboard. Photoshop can do more things than doing Kindle preview images for Amazon...

I.e. measuring the black level of an area.
Method used: have both Kindles next to each other equally far away from light source, take picture of both, load image in PS, convert to gray scale, use pipette tool with a decent area so you have a good average to take black level.

Minimum/Maximum:
Kindle Keyboard: 30 / 84
Kindle Paperweight: 28 / 84

So..pretty much the same without the light.

The light is, however, always on. Even when it is off (aka setting 0). It is actually bright enough to read the Kindle in total darkness, although it wouldn't really be enjoyable reading.

I do not usually read in the dark, though. This is my typical reading area and Kindle placement. With the light at minimum the difference is there still really small. But this changes considerably with a higher light level, though (12/24 in this case).

Both Kindles are equally far away from the light, the PW has a minimum grayscale of 30 in the "white" areas while the KK has one of 50! The light of the PW also looks very even with some ambient light.
Maximum grayscale is a bit trickier to measure due to the small letters, I should have used the maximum font size there, but, well, :effort: Anyway, on the PW maximum grayscale 75 is while on the KK it was 80. So there is some loss of black due to the light, but it is compensated by the increased white and then some.

Here the PW in total darkness at the same light level (12/24). The light shadows at the bottom are visible and there seems to be a green? discoloration in the upper center. But is it really there or is it just some visual illusion? I think everyone of us has seen pictures where you see shadows where there are none.

So lets do some Photoshop magic. Yes, there is definitely a light green discoloration without ambient light.
It's not because the green light is faulty, btw (that one is pretty uniform), but because red and blue light have an "hole" there.

But, honestly, I do not really care. I would have liked a perfect bleached white in darkness just as much as the next guy, but I would call it hardly a huge annoyance. And I mostly (as in 95% of the time) won't use it like this but with some ambient light. Which makes discolorations essentially invisible, at least with my unit.

Last edited by Psykhe; 10-11-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Psykhe is offline   Reply With Quote