Notices

Old 09-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
guru
Enthusiast
guru began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for a model
USB and Wifi connections

Hello,

I'm thinking in buying a PRS-T1 and have some questions concerning the USB and the Wifi connections of the device. I do not have Win or Mac computers at home, only FreeBSD (read it as Linux if you do not know FreeBSD).

When the device is connected via USB to a computer, does it behave like a USB memory stick or like a USB network device and I could SSH into the PRS-T1 like it would be any other network connected computer? Or is the connection hidden behind some propriaty piece of software only available for Windows or Mac?

Second question. The Wifi connection, can I connect through this into the PRS-T1 by SSH (like into any other Android/Linux), or is this only for outbound connections of the PRS-T1 to access the Internet?

Is the above somehow addressed by rooting the device?

Thanks

matthias
guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
It behaves much like a "memory stick" or flash drive on windozeand it should be detected the same on unix if your unix environment is (bsd)standard, the wi-fi can only connect directly via a wap as far as I am aware someone else will have to answer for the rooted device although I expect it would function much like your standard android device
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #3
altruizine
Senior Altruist
altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.altruizine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox C67ML, Onyx Boox Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
When the device is connected via USB to a computer, does it behave like a USB memory stick or like a USB network device and I could SSH into the PRS-T1 like it would be any other network connected computer? Or is the connection hidden behind some propriaty piece of software only available for Windows or Mac?
As far as I can tell, a bit of both (generic USB mass storage + proprietary USB interface). Yes, you can connect to both the built-in user storage as well as the Micro SD card as if they were USB drives, from any operating system. But there also seems to be an additional proprietary USB interface that the Windows software uses to authorize the Reader's DRM, and possibly for other tasks as well (perhaps firmware upgrade?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
Second question. The Wifi connection, can I connect through this into the PRS-T1 by SSH (like into any other Android/Linux), or is this only for outbound connections of the PRS-T1 to access the Internet?

Is the above somehow addressed by rooting the device?
By default, the PRS-T1's wifi is used for outbound connections only.

You typically cannot ssh into an Android device unless you install an ssh server first. You probably could do that on the PRS-T1 after rooting it, but I haven't tried this myself. I normally log into the rooted device using adb over a USB connection.

(So, FreeBSD supports USB these days? Maybe even wifi? I left FreeBSD for good years ago after having been a loyal user for more than 10 years when it fell behind too much in desktop / laptop hardware support. Still missing /usr/src. Ah, the times…)
altruizine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:56 AM   #4
guru
Enthusiast
guru began at the beginning.

Device: still looking for a model
Quote:
Originally Posted by altruizine View Post
(So, FreeBSD supports USB these days? Maybe even wifi? I left FreeBSD for good years ago after having been a loyal user for more than 10 years when it fell behind too much in desktop / laptop hardware support. Still missing /usr/src. Ah, the times…)
Thanks for your answer and hints.

OT: I run FreeBSD, now 10-CURRENT, on all my laptops. Supports USB, webcams, WAN (UMTS), Wifi, etc. I'm an old UNIX guy, give me UNIX/FreeBSD or give me a pencil :-)

Thanks

matthias
guru is offline   Reply With Quote