Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
Hyperlinks/Footnotes

Ok, so I have some school books with a lot of hyperlinks, notes on the language used in the books, links to pictures and other things, footnoted throughout the text.

I converted the book to an rtf, where I am adding h2 headings to make it so I can jump from chapter to chapter easily on my Kindle. I know how to do that via calibre, that is not the problem.

My problem is the notes/hyperlinks thing. After adding the headings at the beginning of each chapter, and then converting the rtf document back into mobi, the footnotes are no longer active. I'm pretty sure that I'd have to add a different kind of heading thing, but how/what?

Can this be done via calibre or...?

Help would be much appreciated, thanks ^^.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarel View Post
Ok, so I have some school books with a lot of hyperlinks, notes on the language used in the books, links to pictures and other things, footnoted throughout the text.

I converted the book to an rtf, where I am adding h2 headings to make it so I can jump from chapter to chapter easily on my Kindle. I know how to do that via calibre, that is not the problem.
I don't normally use rtf or mobi, but unless I'm mistaken when you converted the file from mobi to rtf you lost all links to footnotes. I don't believe RTF supports linking within the document.

You might have success converting to ePub, editing your chapters in Sigil, and converting it back to mobi.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't normally use rtf or mobi, but unless I'm mistaken when you converted the file from mobi to rtf you lost all links to footnotes. I don't believe RTF supports linking within the document.

You might have success converting to ePub, editing your chapters in Sigil, and converting it back to mobi.

Good Luck.
oh, so ePub would save all that? I'll give it a shot. Thanks! I thought so, I didn't think RTF would save those links, but it was the only way I knew how to add headers...
Old 08-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
oh, so ePub would save all that?
I don't know if it will work, but I think you have a good chance that it will work.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I don't know if it will work, but I think you have a good chance that it will work.
Ah.. first time with Sigil..

So I open the book from the disk...? x_X
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Ah.. first time with Sigil..

So I open the book from the disk...? x_X
If you installed Sigil just go to your book in calibre and look in the book details pane and click on the click to open link. This will open the folder where your epub is located. On my Windows machine I just right click on the ePub file and select open with, then choose Sigil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clciktoopen.png
Views:	255
Size:	173.8 KB
ID:	56725  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-16-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
Anarel
Evangelist

Hn... sigil keeps freezing on me whenever I try to add the .html of the book....
Old 08-16-2010, 04:23 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Hn... sigil keeps freezing on me whenever I try to add the .html of the book....
You have to ask specific questions to the folks who know more over at the Sigil forum.

All html edits of the epub have to happen in code view.