Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
kLy
kLy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Question Sideload wirelessly to Kobo?

Is there a way to do this? I'm a prospective Kobo Glo buyer. I currently have a wired-only Sony Reader.

A lot of the content I generally get is sideloaded EPUBs (I shop around online for best price then strip DRM).

One thing I'd really like to be able to do with a wireless reader is exactly that: get rid of those darn USB cables / swapping SD cards.

But from my impressions reading online, the wifi is only good for the Kobo store?

Is that the case or is there a way of sideloading stuff to the reader? Ideally I'd like to sideload external content into the Kobo cloud library so that it can get pushed to the devices.

Failing that, perhaps there's some way of accessing a HTTP/FTP server from a Kobo reader then adding that file to the library that way?

Thanks
kLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
rwhe
Hierodule
rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rwhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, calibre, Android, FBReader
The Kobo has a built-in web browser. I've been able to download files from my Dropbox account via the web interface.
rwhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kLy View Post
Is there a way to do this? I'm a prospective Kobo Glo buyer. I currently have a wired-only Sony Reader.

A lot of the content I generally get is sideloaded EPUBs (I shop around online for best price then strip DRM).

One thing I'd really like to be able to do with a wireless reader is exactly that: get rid of those darn USB cables / swapping SD cards.

But from my impressions reading online, the wifi is only good for the Kobo store?

Is that the case or is there a way of sideloading stuff to the reader? Ideally I'd like to sideload external content into the Kobo cloud library so that it can get pushed to the devices.

Failing that, perhaps there's some way of accessing a HTTP/FTP server from a Kobo reader then adding that file to the library that way?

Thanks
If you use Calibre on your PC or Mac, you can load books onto your eReader using the web browser. With the Calibre server "on" you use the server's url in the eReaders browser address line in this format: http://192.168.1.50:8080/Browse, where 192.168.1.50 is your local IP Address (given in the "connect" dropdown menu in Calibre) and 8080 is the port Calibre uses. This will give you a choice of ways to look at your catalogue such as by "newest", "author", "title" etc. and gives you a cover thumbnail with the title, author and synopsis as well as a "get" button to download the book. No wires necessary!

Last edited by Cdesja5; 10-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #4
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
If you use Calibre on your PC or Mac, you can load books onto your eReader using the web browser. With the Calibre server "on" you use the server's url in the eReaders browser address line [...]
I totally did not know this. This will be super handy for when I want to just throw an ePub of Instapaper articles onto the device!

Now just to actually get my Glo...
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #5
eroe
eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eroe is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
I totally did not know this. This will be super handy for when I want to just throw an ePub of Instapaper articles onto the device!

Now just to actually get my Glo...
I did not know this either! I just got my Glo and wanted a way to take advantage of its wireless features. Thank you so much!
eroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
kLy

Awesomeness, thanks!
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can also use Dropbox to transfer books to your device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 AM   #8
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
The Dropbox thing sounds good. One of my requirements is to grab a copy of my bookmarked Readability articles. I might have to look at writing a script that dumps an ePub onto some web space. Calibre is great but it still means firing up a computer, my holy grail is a 100% cloud sync
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:20 AM   #9
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhe View Post
The Kobo has a built-in web browser. I've been able to download files from my Dropbox account via the web interface.
Note that you can't use the web browser to download from stores (EDIT: most stores, anyways - some seem to provide the epub directly, at DRM-free ones), your public library, etc., etc., as those serve up a .ascm file that will need to be run through Adobe Digital Editions in order to download (and then, if you aren't the type to strip DRM, to load onto your device).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 01-05-2013 at 09:18 AM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM   #10
kLy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Note that you can't use the web browser to download from stores, your public library, etc., etc., as those serve up a .ascm file that will need to be run through Adobe Digital Editions in order to download (and then, if you aren't the type to strip DRM, to load onto your device).
Ah, good to know. However I'd have these hosted on my own http servers as plain ol .epubs so I guess this shouldn't be a problem.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #11
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
How about FTP? Does anyone transfer books by FTP?
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yep, you can use the web browser for not just Drop Box, but Sugar Sync and Box (and any other Cloud program as far as I can tell)
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:47 AM   #13
vlad59
Addict
vlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five wordsvlad59 can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo eReader Touch, Kobo Aura HD
You can also try COPS (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170903), I coded it especially to use it on my Kobo Touch browser.
vlad59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
serwei
Enthusiast
serwei began at the beginning.

Device: Smart Q7
This seems to have stopped working for the past year. The downloads wouldn't trigger the Save File dialog from Dropbox. But Gutenberg works...
serwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 01:17 PM   #15
Libron
Libron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by serwei View Post
This seems to have stopped working for the past year. The downloads wouldn't trigger the Save File dialog from Dropbox. But Gutenberg works...
It still works. You just have to switch to desktop version in your browser, tap the bar with the name of the file and an option will appear to save it.
Libron is offline   Reply With Quote