Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
vaderag
vaderag is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
How do I use calibre maintain series order on kindle?

I've just got a new Kindle and I love it!
Have read around the forums and see that Calibre doesnt support collections (but may), so I look forward to that!

This being the case, my question is, how do I maintain series order on the Kindle?
For example, if I have the Hitch Hiker's Guide, how do i make it display Hitchhiker's Guide, Restaurant at the end... etc? They display ok in Calibre, but doesnt help on the Kindle!

Thanks
vaderag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
vaderag

Nobody?
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
You'll have to change the book titles to get them to show up in order on the Kindle, i.e. use the appropriate series number as the first character of the title.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Here's the method I use for ordering the sequence of books in a series. By the way, I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS. LuvMyBrats on the kindleboards provided this answer.

You have 4 books you want to put into a collection in order so you don't have to constantly look up which book is next.

In Calibre, Edit the Metadata button and change the date the book was published. The first book in the series should have the most recent date. I also add numbers to the title. It looks like this.

Book A (#1) - Aug 2010 (make this your starting date) - oldest book
Book B (#2) - July 2010
Book C (#3) - June 2010
Book D (#4) - May 2010 (last book in the series ends up the earliest date)

When you add these books to your collection, they will line up in the correct order #1-#4

You don't have to add the numbers to the title. Personal choice, I like to see them with the numbers.

Also I don't change the publishing date until AFTER I have downloaded the metadata because if you change publishing dates before, when you download the metadata it will put the correct publishing date and you have done a lot of work for nothing.

A little work involved but at the end of the day I have a series in order and I automatically know which book comes next. Given that most of what I read is series, this method has become invaluable to me because all of my collections with the exception of History and Single Novels are ALL serial books.

Good luck and perhaps someone will have a shorter method. It really doesn't take that long once you get use to it.

Last edited by chilady1; 09-01-2010 at 03:25 PM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 02:59 AM   #5
vaderag

This doesnt seem to work... tried it with the Bourne books and it only sorts them correctly when ordered by title (as they happen to be in alphabetical order!), but Author sort and Most Recent First sorts them backwards
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #6
grizedale
kindle Convert
grizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toysgrizedale shares his or her toys

Device: kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderag View Post
This doesnt seem to work... tried it with the Bourne books and it only sorts them correctly when ordered by title (as they happen to be in alphabetical order!), but Author sort and Most Recent First sorts them backwards
Didn't for me either but using the Date did (not published date)
grizedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:17 AM   #7
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizedale View Post
Didn't for me either but using the Date did (not published date)
Strange - i tried both and neither worked... def a tempremental solution!!

Amazon really need to introduce recognition for this tag to the kindle...
Old 09-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Strange - i tried both and neither worked... def a tempremental solution!!

Amazon really need to introduce recognition for this tag to the kindle...
Interesting - all my books are done this way and the order of the books never fail.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If most recent date sorts them backwards then fix the dates.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
Qylie
Qylie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I list my books by series-01-book title, and the kindle sorts them in order.

Last edited by Qylie; 09-02-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
@Qylie
Good to know. I just ordered a kindle3 (birthday present for my 85 year old mother)
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:41 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
@Qylie
Good to know. I just ordered a kindle3 (birthday present for my 85 year old mother)
Please tell me you are not subjecting your mother to Xanth books
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Believe it or not my mother loves sci-fi and fantasy
I will be pestered for books I haven't read since grade school.
Must teach mother to download from library....
Must teach mother to download from library....

Actually she has pretty eclectic tastes
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Believe it or not my mother loves sci-fi and fantasy
My Mom has just discovered my downloadable library. I've been entering some new genres and tracking various writing awards. For her:

Hard Science Fiction

Fantasy

She's been complaining that my definition of HardSF is too loose.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
vaderag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qylie View Post
I list my books by series-01-book title, and the kindle sorts them in order.

Anyone know a quick way to do this (some kind of script perhaps) for Calibre?