Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Which one? It depends.

It Depends.

For many years (OK, 9), I used a Windows Mobile PDA (several actually) for ebook reading using mostly MS Reader, Mobipocket, and microbook (Gower Point). It works great, and my current PDA is also my cell phone so I only have to have one netsuke in my pants.

On the other hand, I wanted something without a backlight so I could read in bright sunlight on the patio. My original Compaq Aero 1550 had a 4-gray scale B&W LCD and could do that. They stopped making those, and I missed them. Recently I bought a jetBook reader to fill that gap. If I want to read in the dark, I'll still use my PDA.

On the gripping hand, I just bought my sister a Kindle 2. She's an English major. She does have 3 teenagers to consult on electronics, though, so that should work. Anything more complicated than "Turn on, buy book from Amazon, read" would turn her off. Mileage varies so.

I can personally recommend:
Compaq Aero 1550 Pocket PC
hp iPAQ 1930/1945 Pocked PC 2003, although they tended to be fragile
Dell X51 Windows Mobile 5 PDA
Samsung SCH-i760 Windows Mobile 6.1 smartphone
Ectaco jetBook
They all can adequately display text and pictures for reading.

PDAs can also do other useful stuff. In the case of the Samsung, it was free from Verizon, so long as I promised not to change cell phone providers in the next two years. Since Bell Atlantic Mobile became, via several changes of name and owners, Verizon Wireless, it's more likely Verizon will leave me. Cheap promise.

I also seriously considered the Sony PRS-505 & 300, and the Astak Pocket Pro before buying the jetBook. My suspicion is that any of those three would also adequately display text and pictures for reading. I bought the jetBook because it was a little cheaper (with a 20% off coupon).

Conclusion: Check reviews, problem reports, reputations, and price. Make your call. Don't overthink it.

I hope this helps,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote