Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
sdive
sdive began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Academic e-books

Could anyone indicate any studies or industry reports concerned with the purchase of academic e-books? All studies I have come across deal with library consumption. Surely Uni students are also purchasing some textbooks ...
sdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Maybe you can google?
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdive View Post
Could anyone indicate any studies or industry reports concerned with the purchase of academic e-books? All studies I have come across deal with library consumption. Surely Uni students are also purchasing some textbooks ...
I wouldn't be so sure that students are buying that many. Many of the academic publishers seem to have adopted a policy of pricing so that only academic libraries can afford to buy their books. Prices of £120 to £150 are not uncommon. There used to be a very good pirate site for the exchange of academic books, (so I'm told), and I know some students used that. There's also a healthy second-hand text book market, as distinct from academic books, that is often person-to-person. So my guess is that there is a lot of commerce going on - most of it not involving the publishers.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #4
sdive
sdive began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Thanks for your feedback TKS.

For all its worth here is some info I found:

Knowing where to buy eTextbooks is one of the biggest challenges to embracing digital books. You can find some stuff on Amazon and the iBookstore, but right now there’s really not a great one-stop shop that has every eTextbook you’ll ever need. This isn’t a comprehensive list, but we got the best results for both physical and digital books from these sites:

•Barnes and Noble
•Amazon Kindle Store
•Kno
•CourseSmart
•eCampus
•Zinio
•CafeScribe

Source: http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...cademic-books/

However what I'm after is academic papers and industry reports ... if anyone has come across anything (or especially has access to, say via a uni/college library account) ... would be grateful.
sdive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The only study I'm aware of is the one that was recorded in my check ledger. The participants do not like ebooks at all -- no matter how much they save me.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Julius Caesar
Addict
Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Julius Caesar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I saw a video from a med school that requires its students to purchase an iPad so that they can read the ebook version of their text books. The eBooks version are more animated and have extra features not found in the printed version.

Unfortunately, the name of the school and the name of the company who converts the eBooks escape me right now.

Last edited by Julius Caesar; 09-02-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Julius Caesar is offline   Reply With Quote