Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Harry Potter ebooks! Really!

Good grief, they're finally here: Harry Potter ebooks.

Anyone want to take the plunge and find out what this "watermarking" actually entails? As in, can I transfer my ebook to all 4 bazillion ereading devices I own (I have a problem) and will it break Calibre?
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
If the "whole collection" bundle is the price it looks like, its also going to be competitive against the secondary market. I think I paid $75 for the five hardbacks I didn't already have.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Looks like you can download the epub and also sign in to your Kindle account and get it on your Kindle. (or maybe you can do one or the other, I'm not sure.) So maybe they DID manage "one format to rule them all." Nice! We'll see how it works!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #4
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
I bought the first one. The download screen looks like (attached) and gives you the option to "link" to a store account. For the moment, I declined to link to B&N since I don't know what that means -- I opted for direct download, which gives you an epub.

It's running via epub preview in Calibre; I searched for my name and found nothing. (Yay.)

Booting it up in Sigil, no mention of my name there either. Nor the last four digits of my credit card.

Dare I hope they gave up on the watermarking entirely?

Very exciting. I'm off to buy the rest!

ETA: Not sure how I feel about that Remaining Personal Downloads: 7 thing at the top, though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	748
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	84596  
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Good for Rowling.
I hope she sells a lot. A bit more than I am willing to pay, but I got more cheep than a flock of baby chickens.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Went ahead and linked it now that I've done the direct download.

I'm so happy, I want to cry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bn.png
Views:	652
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	84597   Click image for larger version

Name:	bnbook.png
Views:	515
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	84598  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

And it has illustrations!! *happy tears*
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	illustrations.png
Views:	804
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	84599  
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Had a punt to see how it works.

Nice, all it does is adds a line to the copyright page, fully visible - didn't even try to hide it (Its basicaly a encrpted string, I assume if you know the encryption key it will give them your username.

Well, a type of DRM I have no problem with at all, fully editable in Sigil and the pirates can take about 20 seconds to remove the paragraph, still it should discourage casual sharing over facebook etc as it's easy to track if not removed - so I'd give it a win for the stated purpose of DRM

The Exif info on the image has a strange description as well (so probably linked to your account), And If I were them I would have embedded some info in the pixels as well.

Formatting looks good.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
What versions are they in? Both American and British?
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
It's running via epub preview in Calibre; I searched for my name and found nothing. (Yay.)
If it's there, I don't think it will be so obvious that a search will find it. That would defeat the object.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoin View Post
What versions are they in? Both American and British?

Yes, both, but you have to buy them separately, and they may not be willing to sell them to you. For example I am not allowed to buy the US version.

Quote:
This edition of the book is not available in your country. Please choose another book language.
It's magic!
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I bought the first one. The download screen looks like (attached) and gives you the option to "link" to a store account. For the moment, I declined to link to B&N since I don't know what that means -- I opted for direct download, which gives you an epub.

Booting it up in Sigil, no mention of my name there either. Nor the last four digits of my credit card.

Dare I hope they gave up on the watermarking entirely?

Very exciting. I'm off to buy the rest!

ETA: Not sure how I feel about that Remaining Personal Downloads: 7 thing at the top, though.
If you're really curious what's "under the hood" so to speak, you can explode the epub annd look at the individual file with a Hex editor (no joke intented). I use HexEdit 3.0. It's free, and it really, really, works. (RSE approved).
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Ah, the previous poster was right -- it's in the Copyright page.

It's just not your name (looks like a GUID) -- so much for the "personalized editions" they were tweeting about this morning.

Last edited by anamardoll; 03-27-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
CallOfCth'reader
Cultist
CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CallOfCth'reader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Forma, Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
If the "whole collection" bundle is the price it looks like, its also going to be competitive against the secondary market. I think I paid $75 for the five hardbacks I didn't already have.
I just checked out the e-book bundle price, and all I can say is wow. I'm definitely going to get it.
CallOfCth'reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
And it has illustrations!! *happy tears*
Interesting, the direct download from the site does not have those illustrations.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote