Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 PM   #31
CoryDog
CoryDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader PRS-500
V 0.10.0 Is out and it has one very cool little feature.

First, the big change is I a dded basic text search functionality. I do plan to followup and expand on search to allow one to take a search result and "translate" into the browsing functionality which contains similar books.

The cool part is if you are using the latest chrome builds, I think you need v11.x or even 12.x, if you click on the little microphone in the search box you can speak your search string.

All in all I found it pretty accurate. e.g., try saying "David Foster Wallace Infinite Jest".
CoryDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #32
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Suggestions/Requests

Hey there, are you still developing this amazing application? If so I have some suggestions.

Hum, I don't know if you and the others agree, but I think the scroll over to see a book is bigger than what would be desirable, I mean it's usable and does all that's necessary but you could maybe, only zoom a bit (like 50% or more bigger) the book where the mouse is to quickly scroll over the books (when the mouse would leave the book it would return to the default size) and then click to see full detail. Well, it's just my opinion, if you and/or the others don't feel that's right, then simply ignore this ^^

Another, maybe it would be more organized if all the genres were in a top horizontal bar and which one of them would have scroll over drop down to the refined sub genres and maybe separate the number of books from the sub genre, aligning to left the sub-genre name and to the right the number of books.

It would be more, hum, can't find the word... Organized, aesthetic maybe.

By the way my examples could be a nice addition as a sub-genre or sub-sub-genre, those kind of things more specific, for fans of fanatics of some sort of thing, even I like some specific things, I'll explain them later as was something you already talked about.

One last suggestion would be change the colors (not that they aren't good) to some sort of graphite coloring maybe to match more in the kindle spirit, this is really sketchy and may not work well but normally dark pages are nice for the eyes and to navigate, can have a white version too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Again only suggestions, my own opinion, how I think theoretically things would look better and be more functional

Well this one is more like a request, if you can. Later on this tread you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryDog View Post
In fact my main driver was to offer an alternative and hopefully superior book ontology. Richer and deeper. In SciFi, Punk, Cyperpunk, Steampunk etc... I know how to do it. But writing a smart classifier based off of book descriptions would definitely take some time. But I really want to get there.
Are you still trying to implement this? I would be very interested in searching for books of that particular *punk theme, like Cyberpunk, Steampunk and Biopunk. And as I said earlier adding this kind of sub-genres would be very beneficial, like fantasy: "Vampires, Werewolves, Witches, Wizards, Mythology, Elves, Orcs, etc" or sci-fi: "Utopian, Dystopian, Apocalyptic, Pos-Apocalyptic" for example. Or is this all possible through search engine?

More a "Next" and a "Previous" button on the book description page would be good and if we click on another book while the popup is active it would change to that book instead of leaving popup and opening another.

Well sorry for the extremely long post and now to the good part, I'm not much of a web developer, I'm more of a software programmer but if you need any help to try to implement some of these things or others that you have in mind, say something, I would be happy to help.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
CoryDog
CoryDog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader PRS-500
AkumaTakeshi

Thanks for the feedback!! After a hiatus, as of this morning I'm back working on the the app and hope to remain so for awhile. Your feedback on the interface is all dead on.

I'm a one man development team and this is a weekend spare time project. Right now 85% of the effort is all backend.

I still want to get some backend stuff in play first.

1. Top 100: Current top 100 bestsellers, releases and upandcomers, etc.
2. Save for later. This is a big one for me. Can't tell you how many books I find just testing and developing the app, note "hey that looks good", and subsequently never find again.
3. More search results.
4. Some quick win improvements on improving some of Amazons classifications.
5. Also, I think I can use the API, without surrendering ones privacy to some book site, your personal Amazon reading recommendations.

After that I intend to overhaul the UI pretty intensively.

Some technical "wows" such as flipping covers with stuff on the back or showing a "bookshelf" backgound is all really straight forward stuff, just got need to do the work.

A clean aesthetic across the app will be the tough one.

On your offer to help. It's just a hobby thing. It does have enough in referral fees to cover bandwidth and server costs. I'm not sure how to "open" it up, but I'm open to suggestions. FYI backend is in Racket/scheme and Scala.
CoryDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM   #34
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Ye those will be nice additions too, like top 100 free too we just love freebies

I liked specially the second one.

Never used or done Chrome plugins so I wouldn't know too, I use Firefox on daily basis, and Chrome for specific things like your App or at School/Work.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #35
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Thanks for this great app.

I have a suggestion for the Apps part. I think that it would be better if there is a classification like on this page.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 09:30 AM   #36
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryDog View Post
Update:
Book Search (new "Speech" capability is supported)
Sample Kindle Books Online!!
Added two new genres, Politics and Current Events as well as Business.
Now >40,000 Kindle books to browse.

Hi everyone,

Over the holidays I toyed around with scratching an itch I've had for a loooong time regarding Amazon and the difficulty in sort of just browsing about for a Kindle book. It's just too hard to casual browse through the offerings. e.g. Click get some list of books, scroll, click scroll, reject, back button, back button, ... too slow, too many clicks. So I came up with a small chrome web app.

FIXED URL: http://goo.gl/Slesw

The Problem I'm Trying To Solve: Can't browse the long tail of Amazon's Kindle book offerings quickly and easily. I want to somehow recapture the feeling of "speed" browsing a bookshelf at my local book store with the goal of checking out as many books as possible in the least amount of time. I don't want to replace Amazon's shopping or using the various social books sites for recommendations, just offering a complementary alternative means to "finding a good book to read".
The app sounds really great, but the link no longer works. Are you still developing or has it been removed? Thanks!
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote