Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
YYZscientist
YYZscientist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (Global)
Fiddling with proxy settings in /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs

There was a thread on here last year where there was allusion that a "simple one line change" to /opt/amazon/ebook/config/browser_prefs could effectively bypass or remove the Amazon proxy check. However, I'm not having any luck at this (and the original poster does not remember what he/she did when I contacted them).

Simply removing the line which specifies fints-g7g.amazon.com or using 127.0.0.1 doesn't work. It cripples all internet access.

My motives are fairly benign in case anyone is wondering. I'm just trying to "right a wrong": fiddling a way to being able to use Wikipedia French in addition to the Wikipedia English that is currently the only site allowed by the proxy from here in Canada. It's a bilingual country after all...
YYZscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would strongly urge you not to attempt this. If Amazon find that you are accessing inappropriate content for your location, the almost inevitable result will be that they will disable internet access completely for your Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:56 PM   #3
YYZscientist
YYZscientist began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX (Global)
I understand that posting publicly about this could has broader implications. In light of that, I encourage any respondents with ideas or experience to just contact me privately, via a private message.
YYZscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
onnie
onnie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Global
Guys, there is a reason disabling the proxy settings still does not allow you to connect.

Amazon has made some small changes so when you bypass the proxy you cannot resolve the destination host address.

There may be ways to even go through that limitation but:
1. You will be caught, actually you may already be flagged if you tried to override the proxy.
2. Amazon may be pissed and ban your device.

If you really need access to internet, then you may go ahead and replace the internal SIM. There is a thread explaining it.
onnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #5
xptiger
xptiger began at the beginning.

Device: Kiddle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by onnie View Post
If you really need access to internet, then you may go ahead and replace the internal SIM. There is a thread explaining it.
that is exactly what i wanna do "onnie", changing the SIM is what i want because there is no AT&T network in my country. I have my local SIM inserted and i can use internet on command line, e.g. Ping, Wget, etc. but the browser doesn't allow me to use the internet (except Shop In Kindle Store). it's the proxy that gives me a problem, so i want to remove it. If you know please help!
xptiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
remove proxy and set up a dns entry?
In wifi mode it supposedly does not use the amazon proxy, so it's do-able...
Mabye it is hardcoded into the browser or something, try tricking it into thinking it's in wifi mode >>

Also, mabye you could try setting a dns entry for the proxy to localhost, and then running a proxy server on the kindle (or a box at your house).

It's possible that the proxy uses some kind of md5 crypt or some crap, I really don't know, if it does, you'll have to configure the proxy to do this, and you should be good to go.

oh... this explains part of how the 3g/proxy auth works:
http://balaganov.wordpress.com/2010/...-the-kindle-3/
Though I'd never do it on amazon's dime, you're using you're own sim so I see nothing wrong by finding a way around the proxy >>

Why don't you just re-register your kindle to a US address?
Make an account like... Google maps something random and set up an account, register your kindle to US address -> full access.. or does this not work

Shrugs.

Last edited by curstpriest; 11-17-2010 at 10:12 PM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote