Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #1
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Does UK copyright apply to AUS sourced material?

George Orwell's works are still in copyright in the UK as he died less than 70 years ago. But they are out of copyright in Australia, where copyright is life + 50 years (Orwell died in 1950). If I obtain 1984 from Project Gutenberg in Australia, then reformat it, is it OK for me to post the result here?

The source comes from Australia.
I'm in the UK.
And the MR servers are in Canada.

So which country's copyright laws apply?

ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
The source comes from Australia.
I'm in the UK.
And the MR servers are in Canada.
Yes, MobileRead can host it.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #3
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
For MR: Canada.
For You: UK.

You would download a book which is obviously copyrighted in the UK and then share it. I can't recommend you to do that - even if it would be ok for MR itself.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It would be legal for MR to host it, since it is out of copyright in Canada.

It won't be legal for you to upload it, if you are in the UK. But if you travel to Australia or Canada and upload it from there, then it's fine (I guess).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But if you travel to Australia or Canada and upload it from there, then it's fine (I guess).
This is interesting; can someone confirm Jellby's assumption?
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #6
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If I travel to Australia, download it there, reformat it and then upload from Australia, then I assume that would be OK?

But if I download it in the UK from the Australian server, reformat in the UK, then travel to Australia and upload it there--that would not be OK?

Is it even legal for me to download it whilst in the UK?
Is it legal for me to download it but not reformat it?

It is a rather feeble reason to travel half way around the world.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:02 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I travel to Australia, download it there, reformat it and then upload from Australia, then I assume that would be OK?
I think yes.

Quote:
But if I download it in the UK from the Australian server, reformat in the UK, then travel to Australia and upload it there--that would not be OK?
I think not (therefore I am not... no, hold on, that's not what I mean).

Downloading it when you are in the UK is, I believe, not legal. The rest would be legal.

All of this is assuming this does not belong to "fair use" and whatnot.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You are infringing the copyright if you download it in the UK. You could be sued by the copyright holder for that infringement.

What you do with it after downloading it isn't relevant. Just downloading it while you're in the UK is illegal. But, I think, not criminally illegal, only a civil crime - the police won't come after you about it.*

Quote:
Is it even legal for me to download it whilst in the UK?
Is it legal for me to download it but not reformat it?

*But IANAL. Don't blame me if you download it and the police break down your door five minuets later. :-)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
You may like to know that RWood has already uploaded a version of 1984:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11207
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Also cbell posted a version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43651. Books with year titles can be hard to find by a search.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #11
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
You may like to know that RWood has already uploaded a version of 1984:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11207
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Also cbell posted a version: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43651. Books with year titles can be hard to find by a search.
Oh, you are so mean!

First we tell ShellShock that it might not be legal for him to download a version of 1984 and then you show him these great versions...just one click away...
Old 04-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
ShellShock, this is not just a problem in the UK. The US copyright laws are even weirder. For example, It is legal to upload James Branch Cabell's works in Canada, but only his pre 1923 works in the US. As a US citizen, I can only upload/download what would be legal in the US. However last year, I could not upload anything of James Branch Cabell to MobileRead (Canada) because he had not reached life + 50, even though the pre 1923 works were in the US public domain...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
ShellShock
Wizard

I found out today that I will probably be travelling to Toronto on business in June. I assume once there I could download Orwell from the Canadian or Australian servers, do the reformatting and then upload to MR?

Global travel and the internet really makes a mockery of national copyrights.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
I found out today that I will probably be travelling to Toronto on business in June. I assume once there I could download Orwell from the Canadian or Australian servers, do the reformatting and then upload to MR?
I guess so. But I'm not sure if you could bring the files back to the UK (I'd say you can, just as you can bring legally bought books), and you won't be allowed to download them from the UK anyway.

However, intentionally travelling to another country in order to do something that is forbidden in your home country might be illegal in your country. Think of children prostitution, euthanasia or abortion...
Old 05-08-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Global travel and the internet really makes a mockery of national copyrights.
You can upload it to MR regardless - it's pefectly legal to store on MR's Canadian server. The only person who would be technically breaching copyright in uploading from the UK would be you personally, and it's a purely "technical" offence which really nobody is going to care two hoots about.

I think you'll find, though, that we already have pretty much all of Orwell's work in nicely-formatted versions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote