Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
sunfrog14
sunfrog14 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505 Sc
Just bought the PRS-505 SC

Hello! I just purchased the PRS-505 SC online after reading many reviews. Now, I have been trying to read as much as possible to prepare myself for the arrival. However, I am a little lost on where to start. There is so much information on this forum, but I was wondering if anyone could give me a starting point.

Thanks!

Last edited by sunfrog14; 02-11-2009 at 09:13 AM.
sunfrog14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Starting point with what? Heh, that's a little vague. Before you get it, you can go ahead and download the software and buy some books (just don't forget to register it when you get it in). Welcome to the forum! I hope you love your 505 as much as I love mine!
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #3
sunfrog14

Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct that was very vague!

So I have read many things on here and really I am not sure which software to download. I guess I am not understanding totally. Some people say the software that comes with the reader is not good? Some say to use calibre?

I am also uncertain of which format to download for e-books. I have found a lot of people saying certain ones are better, but then others contradict that. Any specific suggestions?
Old 02-10-2009, 09:14 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfrog14 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct that was very vague!

So I have read many things on here and really I am not sure which software to download. I guess I am not understanding totally. Some people say the software that comes with the reader is not good? Some say to use calibre?

I am also uncertain of which format to download for e-books. I have found a lot of people saying certain ones are better, but then others contradict that. Any specific suggestions?
I would suggest starting out with the Sony software, and later if you don't like it use Calibre. I like Sony's software, personally, but I know Calibre can do a lot more.

If you buy direct from Sony, you won't have to worry about format. If you are downloading elsewhere (like here on MR) you can download .LRF as well as PDF (.lrf is better though). Those are the two big options.

Sony software is here:
http://ebookstore.sony.com
Old 02-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
sunfrog14

Wow you are answering quick! Thanks for your help so far. Do you have any specific websites that you get e-books from besides here and sony?

Also, what memory cards work best? I couldn't find anything on what it holds up to. I will probablly just use a 2 gb SD card for now though.

Last edited by sunfrog14; 02-10-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Wow you are answering quick! Thanks for your help so far. Do you have any specific websites that you get e-books from besides here and sony?

Also, what memory cards work best? I couldn't find anything on what it holds up to. I will probablly just use a 2 gb SD card for now though.
How many books are you planning to keep on the device? At the most I've had 60 books and I hadn't even hit 50% capacity (I don't have any memory cards on it). A 2GB will hold tons of books. Keep in mind though you don't have to keep all of your books on the Reader. I don't like having a lot on there because it makes me feel like I have too much to read

The only other website I've used is fictionwise.com. They have a lot of independent publishers that would be tougher to find elsewhere.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
sunfrog14

Okay, thanks for all the information so far. I think that I will start with what you mentioned when I get mine in and then go from there! I am sure it will all start making more sense when I have it in hand!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:24 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I would suggest starting out with the Sony software, and later if you don't like it use Calibre. I like Sony's software, personally, but I know Calibre can do a lot more.
I am second to it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
I'm a customer at Baen's Webscription site for Science Fiction and Fantasy. I've also bought some books from Fictionwise, purchasing only books that come in non-DRM "multi-format" editions.

For free books, the books here are (for the most part) extremely well made and exceed the quality you'll find elsewhere. Feedbooks and ManyBooks contain many classics as well. If you like pulps, you might check out Munsey's. And then follow links from Munsey's to some sites selling Asian books (translated into English) or classic and contemporary erotica. The guy who runs Munsey's also sells books on CD/DVD in an eBay store.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Fictionwise, Feedbooks, BooksOnBoard and Baen seem to be the most popular places to purchase books (other than Sony's ebook store).

Lot of free classics on mobileread. Look at the blue bar at the top of this website.

If you live in the U.S. check out the website of your local library. Many libraries have ebooks in pdf format you can download and read for free. The ebooks have an expiration of either 14 or 21 days and require a library card to access.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:04 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Honest, it couldn't be easier to get going with the 505. I changed to that in Dec. If you use the software that comes with it, it will make it automatic to buy from Sony. Your purchases automatically go to both your device and your PC library, and all you have to do is wait for the "status" icon to stop spinning while it is synching. Then click the "eject" icon and you are finished.

Plus, the software makes it easy to import books you buy elsewhere. For thing you buy elsewhere, such as Fictionwise, here's what to do:

1. Make a folder on your desktop called "eBooks" or something.
2. Download and save books purchased from places outside Sony.
3. Click "file" then "import file" and browse for the book in your save folder on the desktop. The book will copy into your Sony library.
4. Drag the book from the list to the left-hand column and drop it onto the line that says "reader"
5. Click the tiny "eject" icon beside "reader" and when it vanishes, it is safe to unplug the USB.

Simple click, drag, and drop. Enjoy!

Last edited by DixieGal; 02-11-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Changed "disconnect" to "eject"
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
sunfrog14 also consider downloading eBooks from the library. I get free books from the Fairfax (VA) public library in PDF format. No cost and you can keep them for 21 days.

For details on Libraries and eBooks check here https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
[QUOTE=lilac_jive;349551]If you buy direct from Sony, you won't have to worry about format. If you are downloading elsewhere (like here on MR) you can download .LRF as well as PDF (.lrf is better though). Those are the two big options.
QUOTE]

You can also download ePub files here and elsewhere.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
sunfrog14

Wow, you are all being so helpful and so quickly!

So why is .lrf better than pdf?

I have been reading the forums and looking online at all the places to buy books. So far I downloaded the sony ebook library and that looks relatively easy. Seems like it is very similar to napster for my music!

Now, I have been reading different threads on covers for the readers. I know it comes with one, but is that leather? I don't really deal with much leather so are there any good sources out there to find an alternate?
Old 02-11-2009, 09:21 PM   #15
detacht69
Still Amazing-Only Better
detacht69 began at the beginning.

Device: New K3 Owner
Hey all I have a couple noob questions and I hate to clutter up the page with another thread so...

1. What more can you do w/ Calibre VS sony software?
2. I have a lot of ebooks in .lit format... I understand I would need to convert these to be compatible with the 505... How long does it take to convert? Is there a way to convert multiple files at once?
3. Even though Sony says it is .doc and .rtf compatable, I understand the software needs to convert these, too. Is the readability ever degraded?

Thank you!

edit: I DID try searching and reading a few FAQs before I posted
detacht69 is offline   Reply With Quote