Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
onegreenballoon
onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Samsung Infuse running Aldiko app
Error appears in specific book file; how to fix?

I've recently acquired a copy of Roald Dahl's The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me. However, the file has a repeating error:

The line and column numbers in these errors change, but the line is always in the teens and the column number is always one-sixty-something. The whole book is wrecked - it'll render to the first error, like it says, but there are so many errors that much of the book isn't shown.

I went in to Tweak, and the lack of order in the coding made my eyes cross. I have no idea where to even start to look for line 11 at column 165.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I might fix this? It also occurs in The BFG, Matilda, and Boy...
onegreenballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreenballoon View Post
I've recently acquired a copy of Roald Dahl's The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me. However, the file has a repeating error:

The line and column numbers in these errors change, but the line is always in the teens and the column number is always one-sixty-something. The whole book is wrecked - it'll render to the first error, like it says, but there are so many errors that much of the book isn't shown.

I went in to Tweak, and the lack of order in the coding made my eyes cross. I have no idea where to even start to look for line 11 at column 165.

Can anyone give me a clue as to how I might fix this? It also occurs in The BFG, Matilda, and Boy...
Open your epub with Sigil. Html tidy is part of Sigil and will clean up the html.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Line 11 is almost always in the boilerplate (before the <body> tag)
Your source is putting out some really poor HTML

Also note Tag case should match:
if it opens with (eg): <p>
then it must close with a lower case </p>
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
onegreenballoon
onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.onegreenballoon knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Your source is putting out some really poor HTML
Yeah, can't argue with you there. :P
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #5
onegreenballoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Open your epub with Sigil. Html tidy is part of Sigil and will clean up the html.

bernie
Wow, worked like a charm! Thanks so much for your help.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegreenballoon View Post
Wow, worked like a charm! Thanks so much for your help.
Just a slight warning

Tidy can go both ways:
It can help with bad code
And it can sometimes do the inverse with clean code
IMHO leave it OFF unless you determine it is needed IN A PARTICULAR case
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
code, column, epub, error, line