Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, IPad
Unpacking a .mobi file

I have a Kindle Fixed Layout template ( just the .mobi file ) My goal here is to unpack the file add and change some images and convert the content.opf into a new mobi. The only way I thought I could do was to open the .mobi in Calibre convert the .mobi to an epub , unzip that , make the changes and save as a new .mobi.

When I did this I lost the fixed layout dimensions so I'm asking is there another way to do this?

hit
holdit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
I have a Kindle Fixed Layout template ( just the .mobi file ) My goal here is to unpack the file add and change some images and convert the content.opf into a new mobi. The only way I thought I could do was to open the .mobi in Calibre convert the .mobi to an epub , unzip that , make the changes and save as a new .mobi.

When I did this I lost the fixed layout dimensions so I'm asking is there another way to do this?

hit
Yes, a mobi file is not a fixed layout file, no way, no how. It is only used in the KF8 format. If you don't know the difference see our wiki. You can unpack your current file and make your changes but then use KindleGen or its equivalent the Kindle Previewer to make your changed format in KF8 which is the only format that supports fixed layout. The wiki also have a page on Fixed layout ePub which shows the Amazon fixed layout format.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
For the unpacking you'll want MobiUnpack.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
holdit
Connoisseur
holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holdit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thx for the reply so let me understand, as I may have explained wrong or you may have misinterpreted.

I have the .mobi file which I want to unpack, it has the .mobi extension, its in the attached.

I need to unpack this ( as I do not have the original files only the mobi)

First, what do I use to unpack?

I tried Calibre, it allows me to import the mobi but it will only allow me to convert. So what do I convert the .mobi to?

Hit
Attached Files
File Type: mobi KF8-FL-Template.mobi (4.44 MB, 210 views)
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You need Mobiunpack or the mobiunpack plugin.

But I've run it for you. The mobi you uploaded is the output from some version of Kindlegen, and has the zipped-up source in it, which mobiunpack has extracted. Here it is.
Attached Files
File Type: zip kindlegensrc.zip (3.23 MB, 566 views)
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
holdit
Connoisseur

Wow, thx for that as I was about to write that I'm in OSX.

R
Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdit View Post
Wow, thx for that as I was about to write that I'm in OSX.

R
In that case, you'd probably like my AppleScript wrappers for Mobiunpack and KindleGen.

Simple Drag&Drop utilities.