Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Would You Go To Mars?

Quote:
Elon Musk envisions small town of VEGETARIANS ON MARS

Offers $500k one way tickets to 'people in their mid 40s'

By Brid-Aine Parnell • Get more from this author

Posted in Science, 27th November 2012 11:55 GMT

Billionaire space pioneer Elon Musk wants to get a Martian colony of 80,000 people up and running by ferrying folks out there for $500,000 a trip.
Mars

Musk wants to start his colony on Mars with just ten people or so, who would fly to the planet on a huge reusable rocket powered by liquid oxygen and methane.

"At Mars, you can start a self-sustaining civilisation and grow it into something really big," Musk told an audience at the Royal Aeronautical Society in London, according to Space.com.

He reckons the price tag for a ride to the Red Planet has to be (relatively) affordable.

"The ticket price needs to be low enough that most people in advanced countries, in their mid-forties or something like that, could put together enough money to make the trip," he said.

The first folks heading to Mars would have machines to produce fertiliser, oxygen and methane from Mars' atmosphere and subsurface water ice with them on the big booster, as well as construction materials to build big transparent domes to grow Earth crops in.

Musk is working on a big reusable rocket right now, which is rumoured to be called an MCT - Mass Cargo Transport or Mars Colony Transport.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11...k_mars_colony/
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Would be interesting. But one way? Didn't want to do that, and not for that price. Pay me to go and get me home after a year, then we can talk. Otherwise, nah.

Would love to observe how plant life would cope on the planet though.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Being a vegetarian on Mars was not how I envisioned retirement.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
The first folks heading to Mars would have machines to produce fertiliser, oxygen and methane from Mars' atmosphere and subsurface water ice with them on the big booster, as well as construction materials to build big transparent domes to grow Earth crops in.
Does he know something Mars and its atmosphere that I have not heard? I would not have been interested in my 40's, still not interested in my 50's, and would only ever be interested when I thought I was near death.* Being the first human buried on Mars might be sort of cool.

*Not to mention that I've much better uses for $500, 000 right here on Earth.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Does he know something Mars and its atmosphere that I have not heard? I would not have been interested in my 40's, still not interested in my 50's, and would only ever be interested when I thought I was near death.* Being the first human buried on Mars might be sort of cool.

*Not to mention that I've much better uses for $500, 000 right here on Earth.
I didn't see him volunteering to be on the first boat out. Maybe says something about how he became one of the richest men in the world eh?
Old 11-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would love to go to Mars. In fact my dream is to be the first human to ever set foot on Mars and once there I'd stay there cause I'd be done with this stupid earth. And from there nobody else would be allowed on Mars as I would consider it an act of war and invasion. I would then have to strike back and destroy the earth.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #7
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Munch View Post
Would be interesting. But one way? Didn't want to do that, and not for that price. Pay me to go and get me home after a year, then we can talk. Otherwise, nah.
The ticket there is free.

It's the ticket back that will cost you millions.

Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #8
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Does my wife get to vote?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:10 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I didn't see him volunteering to be on the first boat out. Maybe says something about how he became one of the richest men in the world eh?
The ultimate Ponzi scheme. Were would you sue?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 AM   #10
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
MJK2111
FUBAR!
MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MJK2111 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 S
...machines to produce fertiliser, oxygen and methane...

Aren't those commonly referred to as "cows"...?
MJK2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #12
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK2111 View Post
...machines to produce fertiliser, oxygen and methane...

Aren't those commonly referred to as "cows"...?
Hmmm,,,, 2 outta 3 eh? No oxygen from cows that I know of.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Being a vegetarian on Mars was not how I envisioned retirement.
Bring 'extra' people along
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
weltonsfancy
Enthusiast
weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weltonsfancy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
The ticket there is free.

It's the ticket back that will cost you millions.

weltonsfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #15
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Who in the right mind will leave such a beautiful earth and go smother themselves in a red red world?

Me. Because curiosity kills the cat.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote