Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
iPhone and iPad in use at most Fortune 100 companies

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...companies.html

"More than 80 percent of Fortune 100 companies are using the iPhone, and about 50 percent of the Fortune 100 are deploying or testing the iPad, Apple revealed Tuesday.

Apple Chief Operating Officer Tim Cook announced those figures during the company's quarterly earnings conference call Tuesday evening. He said that the company is selling iPads and iPhones "as fast as (they) can make them," including those sales to the enterprise market"
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Those are pretty interesting stats, Bremen. There is a lot of talk about "early adopters" driving iPad and iPhone sales, but Fortune 100 companies tend towards..whatever is the opposite of "early adopter" ;p
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Druid_Elf
Zealot
Druid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enoughDruid_Elf will become famous soon enough

Device: none
The article is a bit vague and the source is apple itself. Then I am usually sceptical.
It doesn't say for instance which percentage of the employees is using an iphone and for what purposes. If only the CEO has one, you have sold 80 iphones
I can understand that the ipad would have some benefits for sale persons on the road, as it less heavier than a laptop. But still some more accurate figures would be better for the overall credibility
Druid_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i have to say i doubt this claim a bit. i work with plenty of fortune 100 companies and don't see them in any sort of use, testing or even considering. since i've had mine i've taken it to a dozen or so companies. i've had a few questions here and there. maybe apple counts that. lol.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
AT&T announced earnings today (3.2 million iPhones activated)..and in the earnings call:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/07/...od=rss_WSJBlog

Quote:
One "surprising" thing about the iPad, he says, is the "level of interest from business customers." "When we first introduced the iPhone, businesses and in particular [chief information officers] were reluctant ... Over time that has changed dramatically," he says. But "right from the beginning with the iPad, we've had a number of business customers express interest," and Lindner says he thinks that some businesses might use iPads to replace laptops.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #6
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I think this statement is actually true, but it simply seems more impressive than it actually is, you only need a few iphones or ipads in use for the claim about a particular company to be true, whereas many people would tend to read it as they were in widespread use.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
Rique
Zealot
Rique began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (silver), IPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
I think this statement is actually true, but it simply seems more impressive than it actually is, you only need a few iphones or ipads in use for the claim about a particular company to be true, whereas many people would tend to read it as they were in widespread use.
@Crowl, I don't disagree with you - it is a valid point.

Anecdotally, however, I will say that my organization is as conservative, stuck-in-the-mud, wholly devoted to Windows as it gets. And I was shocked to take note of the fact that our CIO and our Director of Data Center Services (two people who I think have Intel chips embedded in their DNA) both have acquired iPads (from the company treasury, not personal discretionary buys). And our Vice-President, Legal. And others in our senior staff. Apple tends to be scoffed at in my organization, and yet... what have we here? A veritable invasion is what!
Rique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
i have to say i doubt this claim a bit. i work with plenty of fortune 100 companies and don't see them in any sort of use, testing or even considering. since i've had mine i've taken it to a dozen or so companies. i've had a few questions here and there. maybe apple counts that. lol.
I agree. Question to me is, whether (as with my employer) it's just a general agreement, being able and allowed to use iPhone or iPad. Or whether actually the entire sales force for example gets equipped with iPhones.
My employer for example would need 20k iPhones. I don't see that happening.
And when being asked, I'd never trade in my BlackBerry for an iPad or iPhone. iPhone as a business phone still is inacceptable. A few days ago I wanted to copy and paste within webmail. I don't know about iPhone. But at least iPad isn't able to copy from one browser window to another!

Last edited by mgmueller; 07-24-2010 at 08:11 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #9
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
AT&T announced earnings today (3.2 million iPhones activated)..and in the earnings call:
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2010/07/...od=rss_WSJBlog
As with many things about the iPad, it's groundwork was laid by the iPod Touch/iPhone. The businesses are simply more open to the idea now that the iPhone is a proven format.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote