Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #1
cybat
cybat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
MP3 Playback question..

Hi all,

After reading several post on the forum I've taken the plunge and purchased a Sony PRS505 ebook reader. I can say I am loving my PRS505.

Sorry if this comes out as a newbie question but, I've noticed during playing somewhat 100 MP3's that there isn't an option to create some sort of a playlist.

After searching on the forum I couldn't find anything about this.

To be frank, is there a way to create a playlist on the PRS505?

Thank you.
cybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
revmike
Zealot
revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!revmike , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Sony Readers 505 \ T-2, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8
No, it's not. Plus most users don't use the mp3 player anyway.
revmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The 505 is very basic when it comes to the mp3 function
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
one big downside to the MP3 playing ability is that it can stay playing even when you think it's off, so it can be a huge battery-drain problem.

Far better to leave the reader as simply a reader and buy a cheap but efficient MP3 player which can handle playlists if you wish and get longer battery life out of both and no potential problems.

I tried the mp3 player on my 500 and it was so hard to manipulate the controls that I simply gave up (thus confirming what everybody had already said but I was too pigheaded to accept without proof).

The other thing to superb performance is to not use the memory cards, although it seems that using memory sticks has improved somewhat. But on the 500 using a memory card either Memory Stick or SD card slowed things down noticeably.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:50 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The MP3 player on the Reader was probably one of those things the marketing department told them to add just so that they could advertise it as being there. It's worth than useless - it's downright dangerous; as the poster above says, it's all too easy to leave it playing inadvertently and completely drain your battery.

Any cheap MP3 player will be a heck of a lot better than the Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
cybat
cybat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll continue using my MP3 Player for that purpose then.
On a side note if anyone is interested I did end up finding a way to make a "playlist." All I did was I renamed the MP3 "song title" tag as

"Playing position" - "Artist" - "Album" - "Title".MP3

Since the player sorts the files alphabetically just name the files according to playback preference

On the Playing position just put in something like A1, A2, A3 etc...
Of course if you want total custom playlists instead of playlists of whole albums, just don't put in the album name in the MP3 tag.

Regards,
cybat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
That is one way to solve the playlist problem but it is certainly a pain in the butt if you wish to change your playlists frequently.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote