Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
bloodlover
Enthusiast
bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bloodlover ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Old gothic, horror & mystery

Could someone recommend any good old gothic/horror novels? Written in the Victorian era or even before.

I found this list on Goodreads and I have read some of them (others are in the "to read" list) but I was wondering about less known authors or works.

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...ks_Of_All_Time

I did a search on the matter and didn't really find anything here.
bloodlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #2
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Project Gutenberg has a Gothic bookshelf, maybe you'll find something there. http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Gothic...28Bookshelf%29
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I see Carmilla by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu is on the list. That's worth a read, short and compelling.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodlover View Post
Could someone recommend any good old gothic/horror novels? Written in the Victorian era or even before.
I found this list on Goodreads and I have read some of them (others are in the "to read" list) but I was wondering about less known authors or works.
http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...ks_Of_All_Time
I did a search on the matter and didn't really find anything here.
Interesting what they consider 'gothic'. Not sure I'd have put Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights in that category. Would recommend the 'Northanger Abbey' 'horrid novels', though - I see the full list is on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1..._Horrid_Novels

It's worth searching for other books by some of the novelists given in this list. The authors I'd pick from this list to have a closer look at would be Henry James, M.R. James, Edgar Allan Poe and J. S. Le Fanu. Wilkie Collins also wrote a number of other less well-known gothic novels, including The Haunted Hotel and The Black Robe. Another author whose books aren't as well known as they deserve is Alexander Huth (aka M. Y. Halidom), author of Zoë's Revenge and The Woman in Black (not the much inferior Susan Hill one). Unfortunately, the former seems to be available only at Manybooks where the 'ë' has been changed to 'e?', making it quite annoying to read; the PDF is somewhat better.

Last edited by LuvReadin; 07-16-2012 at 09:13 AM.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote