Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 12:16 AM   #1
Nalapombu
Nalapombu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle FIRE
Kindle Fire:Why Do My MOBI Files End Up in my DOCUMENTS Folder Instead of BOOKS??

Hey all,

I have a Kindle Fire and have been using Calibre ever since I got it. A great program.

Anyway, when I get a book if it'snot in MOBI format I will convert it. So all the books I have loaded into Calibre are MOBI files.

The other day I had picked out 5 or 6 books that I wanted to transfer to my Fire to read. I have bought a couple directly from Amazon and they were delivered wireless a month ago or so.

I select the books and have Calibre send them to the device. When it finished I unhooked it and went to check and see if everything worked ok, it did. Right there in the BOOKS tab were the 2 books I had purchased from Amazon as well as the 5 I just had Claibre transfer to it. I decided to go in and see where all the books were stored on my Fire.

When I connected it I opened it so I could look at the files and folders. There are several folders on the Fire, Pictures, Music, Movies, DOCUMENTS and also a BOOKS folder. There are more, but you get the idea.

Naturally I suspected that all of my books would be in the BOOKS folder, they weren't. There were a couple in there that had file names that were made up of random characters and numbers. They were listed as MOBI files though. Wondering where the 5 books I just transferred were I checked in the DOCUMENTS folder and sure enough, they were all there. All were in the MOBI format. even though those books I had Calibre tranfer to my Fire showed up on the device in the BOOKS section, they actual files were being stored in the DOCUMENTS folder. I don't understand it. Why aren't they in the BOOKS folder? After all they are BOOKS....

Now I am wanting to read some PDF files on my Fire and have been told to hook it up and copy them to the DOCUMENTS folder and when I open my Fire I should be able to click the DOCUMENTS tab and they'll show up. We'll see, I haven't tried it yet.

Can anyone explain to me why Calibre transfers the MOBI files to the DOCUMENTS folder instead of the BOOKS folder? If I went in and moved all the of the MOBI files in the documents folder to the BOOKS folder, would they still show up in the BOOKS section on the device?

Please explain.

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr
Nalapombu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
euterpe
euterpe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
'Documents' and 'Books' in the Kindle Fire are really the same thing if you think about it -- converted "mobi" (something more proprietary than that, i forget) files that the Kindle App can read. If you were to ever browse to your sdcard you would find scrambled encrypted pdf files in your book folder as well as your documents folder. It's completely random.

Anyway, I've had mixed success sending mobi files from Calibre to main memory (and having it sorted nto books) but lots of success dumping .mobi files into the 'Books' folder on your usb mount sdcard.

Either way -- its whispernet that delivers it and be it books or documents (especially after 6.3 when it comes to documents) they will end up in your cloud and only removable via amazon.com/myk

I'm a sole kindle fire owner too myself so PM me if you have anymore questions.

EUTERPE
euterpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalapombu View Post
Can anyone explain to me why Calibre transfers the MOBI files to the DOCUMENTS folder instead of the BOOKS folder? If I went in and moved all the of the MOBI files in the documents folder to the BOOKS folder, would they still show up in the BOOKS section on the device?
Calibre puts your ebooks in the Documents folder, because they are "personal documents" (i.e. not directly from the Kindle ebook store). However, Calibre could have put them in the Books folder instead - which folder to use was a choice that Calibre made.

There is a Books app and a Docs app (probably the same app with different defaults), but they both can read ebooks from the Books and Documents folders. Which app "owns" a MOBI ebook depends on the ebook's metadata. Most MOBIs from Calibre end up in the Books app, and if not - simply do a MOBI to MOBI conversion in Calibre and the resulting ebook will almost certainly be in the Books app. You can over ride this in Calibre if you want (i.e. force all Calibre MOBIs to show up in the Docs app).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
If you set your Mobi Output to [EBOK] before you convert the book to MOBI format, it will end up as a book not a document in the Fire. If the book already is a MOBI, just do a MOBI to MOBI conversion.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
setherd
Sleep Tech
setherd began at the beginning.

Device: andorid, nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
If you set your Mobi Output to [EBOK] before you convert the book to MOBI format, it will end up as a book not a document in the Fire. If the book already is a MOBI, just do a MOBI to MOBI conversion.
where is ebok output? I can't find any mention of that.

I have read to remove the [PDOC] tag from mobi files and have had some success with that getting files to show up under books.
setherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
This might help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
To change the tag to [EBOK] : Preferences => Conversion => Output Options => Mobi Output => Personal Doc Tag = change [PDOC] to [EBOK].
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
Cinderela
Enthusiast
Cinderela began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
This might help
Even with the EBOK output, some files still went to DOCS - can I just dump the all into books? Some are items in series, so I want them to be in order - the others I don't care if they are in books or docs.
Cinderela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderela View Post
Even with the EBOK output, some files still went to DOCS - can I just dump the all into books? Some are items in series, so I want them to be in order - the others I don't care if they are in books or docs.
It does not matter which folder the ebook is in. What matters is the internal metadata tag. The advise to use [EBOK] as the Personal Doc Tag is wrong, in the sense that whatever that tag is set to the output is PDOC if that tag is present in the ebook entry. So [EBOK] only works because you don't have [EBOK] as a tag. The best way to get an ebook into the Books app is to set Preferences => Conversion => Output Options => Mobi Output => Personal Doc Tag to blank (empty) and do a MOBI to MOBI conversion.

An alternative strategy is to force them into the Docs app. Do this by setting Preferences => Conversion => Output Options => Mobi Output => Personal Doc Tag to whatever you want ([PDOC] is the default, but I have used z because it is short and at the end of the alphabet) and then use Edit Metadata -> Edit metadata in Bulk to add this tag to all the ebooks you want in Docs. Finally do a MOBI to MOBI conversion on all these ebooks. When they are copied to your Fire they will be in Docs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote