Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo (future?)
Where to buy (US), and any deals?

I want to get my son an Aura H2O for his birthday this Saturday, but it looks like I have to order one from Canada. Is that right?

Are there any coupons that work on the hardware? Would they even be able to get one here in time? I would pick one up locally but that appears to not be an option. Thanks!
Jeff Bezos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Hi Jeff,

Can you tell us why you are purchasing a competitor's device?
Does this mean the Kindle is not the bestest device like ever?

I must say, it is exciting to meet a world-famous economic figure on our humble forum!

eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not being much of a Kobo person, I am not clear on the details. But I know Kobo owners who have said Kobo devices ARE sold in the U.S. -- Kobo just refuses to advertize them here and hides the connection.

Someone will probably be along soon to say where you can get a Kobo in the U.S.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Here's a list of US stores where you might be able to pick up a Kobo reader:
http://www.indiebound.org/ebooks

There's also Family Christian Books that carries them as well that's not on the list for some reason. But call ahead if they have what you want in stock. These are only independent bookstores, no big chains, so they often only have a few choices in stock, but probably could order others.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 03:52 PM   #5
Jeff Bezos
Jeff Bezos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo (future?)
Thanks. I picked this username because the one I normally use on forums was taken. I don't know why this one wasn't!

I sideload all of my books using Calibre, so Kobo's native ePub support is a small plus. Most of the books I buy or get from the library are already in ePub format. I haven't noticed many issues with Calibre's conversions, but it's easier to just not do them.

I can't find anyone in Canada who will send one here except by post, which takes 7-10 days or more. That includes Kobo. I have no idea why their parent company, which operates a web superstore, doesn't sell them. Amazon is all-powerful, I guess.

I called a couple local bookstores on the indiebound list, and one said they don't stock but can order. The other said they can't even order because their distributor stopped carrying them.

Looks like I may be getting a Paperwhite.
Jeff Bezos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Politics and Prose book store in Washington D.C. sell Kobo readers.
http://www.politics-prose.com/kobo#koboware

A local Family Christian Bookstore was selling Kobo Readers when Kobo Mini was first released and stopped selling them 6 months later.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #7
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bezos View Post
I can't find anyone in Canada who will send one here except by post, which takes 7-10 days or more.
There are a lot of posts here from people that bought from Chapter-Indigo Canada and while it will say delivery is 7-10 days (and could be if it happens to get caught up at customs), most were 3-4 days IIRC.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Using the name Jeff Bezos is not a good idea. I would hope the staff would agree. So my suggestion is for you to ask the staff to change your username to something else.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using the name Jeff Bezos is not a good idea. I would hope the staff would agree. So my suggestion is for you to ask the staff to change your username to something else.
What is "not a good idea" about it?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Let's get back on track with the OP's question.

Any further discussion that is not about the OP's question will be deleted - without comment.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-28-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
I just ordered from Kobo itself. I got free shipping. It will take longer, but that's OK as long as I get the reader.

The Canadian store didn't have the Glo.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #12
rjv
rjv began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O, nook simple touch, Kobo mini, Nexus 7
Harvard Book Store sells the H2O: http://www.harvard.com/goods/only_at_hbs/ereaders/
rjv is offline   Reply With Quote