Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
blacksharpie
blacksharpie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle DX
10,000 books in lrf for $10 at Silk Pagoda

Maybe someone has already mentioned this, but www.silkpagoda.com is having a sale on their 10,000-book DVDs for $10, and they have them in lrf too:

http://www.silkpagoda.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=650

I read on this forum that their pdf books are well-formated. Has anyone seen their lrf books?
blacksharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:07 AM   #2
svolakko
svolakko began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Talking I've ordered it, let's see

they have a free delivery offer, hope it arrives coz 9.95$ with shipment to Slovakia might not be the greatest deal for them...will let you know if it arrives this year
svolakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Encountered "failure" in my attempts - Listen to my drill sergeant

and do not ASSume anything!

Read your post.
Created account
Choose the 3 free books
All 3 available as Sony Books - chose that format
Went to checkout
No charge - true, as indicated
Went to Download
Download box indicated PDF
No Sony download
Downloaded the free PDF

Conclusion based on one free download:
Apparently, on this ONE title that I experimented with, it can be read by our Sony Reader, and that's what Silk Pagoda is saying when it says "Sony Reader."

Don't reach the conclusion that I did that "Sony Reader" means Bbeb. That would be wrong, hurtful, erroneous, terrifying, and downright incorrect reasoning.

PDF can be read by Sony Reader. That's what ONE of these free books is.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:44 PM   #4
Slowhanz
Slowhanz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, Zire 72
I jumped over to Silk Pagoda there and was inspired to buy the DVD. I don't feel like 9.99 is much of a risk for getting a few good books.

In terms of compatability, I didn't try a free download, but I did see that the DVD comes in two flavors for the Sony, one that is PDF and one that is LRF. The LRF disk also contains some measure of backups in html of the books as well. This is the disk that I ordered.

As was mentioned, don't assume, but sometimes it just takes an extra second to check things out and then make your decision.

G
Slowhanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have the older DVD formatted in PDF for the Sony Reader. They are very good. They also have a newer version formatted in LRF. I have downloaded several files in LRF from their site and they come with custom BlackMask Table of Contents.

It is well worth the $9.95 they ask for the disk.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #6
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I tried their free download and I got the title both in lrf and html. So, I ordered the DVD. 10,000 books should keep me busy for awhile.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #7
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I just got the DVD in the mail. They are in LRF format but the DOS filenames are like "1hbov.lrf" for "The home book of verse,V1" so you can tell from the file name which is which. You hve to use the built in html index to ID the files you want.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
blacksharpie
blacksharpie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle DX
So I just bought the DVD too! MMascaro, how long did it take for you to receive it in the mail?
blacksharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
MMascaro
Zealot
MMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheeseMMascaro can extract oil from cheese

Device: HP mini 1035/Sony Reader/IPad
I ordered it about noon Wends and it arrived in the Friday PM mail. Note I am mid east coast USA.
MMascaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #10
batpuppy
Connoisseur
batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.batpuppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 , Samsung TabA 8.0, Kindle fire 7.0
Just got my DVD today. For some reason (I guess it is too large or has too many files or something) I can't directly view the folder with all the lrf files. I have to use the html index in the root folder. Guess that is ok as it be difficult to find specific ebooks in the folder by the file names they use anyway.
batpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #11
Hiro11
Hiro11 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I bought this and received it yesterday. At first glance, if you like "classics", this is a great deal.

I think all of the titles are public domain, so there's no legality issues with this collection. It is truly 10K books, although a majority of the titles are either very obscure or lesser works by famous writers. Having said that, the collection is so huge that there are still hundreds (thousands?) of certified classics available. You can't argue for ten bucks.

The files are all .lrf, are easily recognized by Connect and the books display perfectly on the Reader.

The files are indexed through a very strange set of Explorer files. I simply imported the entire list into the Connect library (which took a while) and went from there.
Hiro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:04 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Do the books have tables of contents? I ask because many ebooks at www.manybooks.net do not.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:56 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it legal to post those books here? If so, can everyone start doing it?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speaking, for once, with my "MR Editor's" hat on, please don't upload them here, thanks .

We would just be repeating what can be freely downloaded from SP. All the books here are "hand formatted" whereas the SP books are machine-generated LRFs which really add nothing to the PG originals. Our upload policy is that books should only be uploaded here which add significant value to the original. Uploading SP books would be no more beneficial than uploading books from, say, ManyBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #15
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Speaking, for once, with my "MR Editor's" hat on, please don't upload them here, thanks .

We would just be repeating what can be freely downloaded from SP. All the books here are "hand formatted" whereas the SP books are machine-generated LRFs which really add nothing to the PG originals. Our upload policy is that books should only be uploaded here which add significant value to the original. Uploading SP books would be no more beneficial than uploading books from, say, ManyBooks.
Ah. Thank you. My previous question about the TOC was an attempt to find out if they were machine generated.

Could someone please answer the question about the TOC?