Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-08-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
ryanspeck
Author of stuff
ryanspeck began at the beginning.

Device: none
Free E-Book: The Big Rusty Lie by Ryan Speck

For the time being, I'm giving my novel away online for free.

Around 200 pgs. (and 70,000 words), The Big Rusty Lie is an absurdist detective satire for lovers of Douglas Adams and Max Barry, as well as lovers of absurd and vulgar comedy. While often a bit dry, the story is largely silly and revolves around an eccentric detective and his Asian chauffeur searching for a seemingly-kidnapped heiress. Along the way, they involve themselves in just about everything other than that particular case.

Some have compared my style to Thomas Pynchon and James Joyce, while others have seen some sort of link with the dark humor of Chuck Palahniuk. Personally, I think it's like the Marx Brothers meets "It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia".

My novel can be found at the following location: The Big Rusty Lie

You can also find a few pdf's of short stories for free download on my site, some of which have slight connections to the events of the novel. Others, not so much.

Hope some of you enjoy the read. Heaping praise is always welcome (especially on Amazon or to all your friends).

Last edited by ryanspeck; 10-08-2008 at 08:19 AM.
ryanspeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Good luck -- as an author, you'll need it, especially in today's publishing climate.

I see you've already gone down the Kindle route, but, now that your text is in the wild, have you considered releasing it under a Creative Commons licence? You retain the copyright and can license print editions, but gain a large readership you otherwise wouldn't have. This strategy has certainly worked for Cory Doctorow.

Your book could then be posted, provided the proprietors agreed, at Feedbooks and manybooks.net, and of course you could let readers download it from your own site. Here's my take on this approach.

Just a thought. Anyway, I've given you a link in my fledgling blog gadget.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #3
ryanspeck
Author of stuff

Truthfully, I've never really understood or cared about Creative Commons, so perhaps I need a better, more thorough explanation. (At very least, I need to go to bed.) Perhaps that'd be a way to go about it. I'm not sure.

I've heard Cory Doctorow's name (and I'm not much of a reader, funny enough), so I guess there's something to be said for his methods.

I guess the way things are going, giving it away for free doesn't have much of a downside. So I'll have to look at that after I'm lucid again.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I went to your site to download the book.

I am looking forward to reading it on my reader.
The problem is, the book is in the pdf format, and as such, it is practically unreadable on my 6 inch e-ink screen without further processing.
I tried copy and paste of text to a text editor, so I could format the book for my device. No luck here, because pdf file is locked.

If you wish to find readers here on mobileread, please consider formatting the pdf file for the 6" screen or providing other formats, directly readable by our reading devices.

If you wish to create pdf file for reading on Sony Reader and other 6 inch e-ink devices, I recommand formatting it for the page size 90mm x 120 mm with a very narow margins (a couple of milimeters is enough) so we can use the entire screen for displaying the text.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Great, thank you.

The PDF is not locked, I can copy/paste text sans problemes. Just have to fiddle with the line-breaks a bit.

Is this the place where we post our reviews?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
Great, thank you.

The PDF is not locked, I can copy/paste text sans problemes. Just have to fiddle with the line-breaks a bit.

Is this the place where we post our reviews?
How do you cut and paste it? I tried but the PDF won't let me. I expect I'm probably doing something wrong.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
I open it with "preview" on my Mac.
If it's allright I can paste the text to a text file and up it here ?
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mores View Post
I open it with "preview" on my Mac.
If it's allright I can paste the text to a text file and up it here ?
Hmm, I'm running Windows XP. Don't know if there is a 'Preview' feature available.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:46 PM   #9
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hmm, I'm running Windows XP. Don't know if there is a 'Preview' feature available.
You can probably do it by Ctrl-A, Ctrl-V from Adobe Reader, but you'd be better off with a proper PDF conversion program. Have a peek in the Wiki.
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:49 PM   #10
ryanspeck
Author of stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
If you wish to find readers here on mobileread, please consider formatting the pdf file for the 6" screen or providing other formats, directly readable by our reading devices.
Yeah, that's the same file I put up on BitTorrent, so I wanted it locked so that general yahoos on BT couldn't print the thing out or change it, really. Well, at least not without trouble.

Perhaps in the future I could format the thing for specific readers, though that's quite a bit of work for me at the moment.

Do most book readers handle pictures well or do those need to be stripped out, leaving text?
Old 10-08-2008, 05:04 PM   #11
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Most can cope with pictures. I've included pictures in LRF, PRC, IMP and LIT formats with no trouble.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:28 PM   #12
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

And, to read my version, I just raise the font to 'm'. It come out a bit large but reads fine
Old 10-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
And, to read my version, I just raise the font to 'm'. It come out a bit large but reads fine
I also noticed the font size on the medium setting was larger than other pdf's I've downloaded. The reflow isn't perfect but definitely readable.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
Mitchll
Cave Dweller
Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Mitchll once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ipad Sony reader prs-505 prs-900
I find that if I can open a book in Stanza, I can export from there to html and go from there to whatever format I need.
Mitchll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #15
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchll View Post
I find that if I can open a book in Stanza, I can export from there to html and go from there to whatever format I need.
THANK YOU --- a marvelous tip. I'd forgotten about that capability. Now I can take this book and peruse it on my Kindle. It sounds like an interesting read!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote