Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-01-2010, 06:48 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
3 New Sony Readers announced today, apps coming this fall

A couple of blogs have broken the embargo, so I got permission to post this now. Here's the highlights:

Sony have updated all 3 current models. All 3 models have the new Pearl screen with an improved touch screen component. They also have 12 dictionaries now (2 English, 10 translation). The Pocket and Touch now has 2GB Flash. The Daily Edition now has Wifi, 4GB Flash. Prices haven't changed ($299, $229, $179).

The Android, iOS apps are coming in November (ish).

Sony will be expanding into new markets this year: Spain, Italy, Australia, China, and Japan.

You can find the complete write up over at The Digital Reader:
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ing-this-fall/

Last edited by Nate the great; 09-01-2010 at 10:01 AM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #2
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The Android, iOS apps are coming in November (ish).
Do you have a source for that Nate? The digital reader link doesn't mention it, and unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, I think this would be a very big deal if it meant getting ADE books on iOS, no?

TIA Pete
petermillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Other sources said that only Pocket and Touch are "shipping today" (I don't see that so far), Daily is coming in November.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Other sources said that only Pocket and Touch are "shipping today" (I don't see that so far), Daily is coming in November.
Are epubs finally fully justified if so wanted?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #5
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
I have a PRS-505. I'm wondering the following about these new guys:

1) Is the new touchscreen as sharp as the PRS-505's is, or is that still unattainable?

2) Is the total shutdown process more streamlined than in the PRS-505 (not the power slider switch -> power-munching stand-by, but TOTAL shutdown, with the 5-step process)? It's ridiculous on the PRS-505.

3) Will the PRS-650 still fit into my current new-gen Sony cover with light?

It appears the new touch (PRS-650) does away with the proprietary power port, and relies on USB exclusively now.
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
1. Supposed to be sharper

2. No idea

3. Doubtful that the lighted 505 cover will fit on the 650.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Pocket Edition looks like a true next-gen update; 4X memory and the Touch/Pearl combo. Given the paucity of 5in eink readers the street price ($149?) should be acceptable.
The others? more like a point-one update.
The 950 still looks interesting but it still looks pricey.
The 650? A complete miss. It doesn't look all that hot compared to its own sibling, the Pocket Edition. They should've dropped it and done an unconnected version of the 950 at the same price.
Two out of three may not be bad (with apologies to Meat Loaf) but the big miss comes in the heart of the Market.
And if Nate-the-great's report on DRM-support (Adept-only, no B&N-DRM) is accurate (no reason to doubt him) B&N is likely smiling today.
Now to wait for the Pocketbook news out of Germany.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #8
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by darex2 View Post
2) Is the total shutdown process more streamlined than in the PRS-505 (not the power slider switch -> power-munching stand-by, but TOTAL shutdown, with the 5-step process)? It's ridiculous on the PRS-505.
All models since PRS-600 support full shutdown by holding power switch for 5 seconds. I don't know why the excitement about it, it's not something you do every day anyway.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:51 AM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermillard View Post
Do you have a source for that Nate? The digital reader link doesn't mention it, and unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, I think this would be a very big deal if it meant getting ADE books on iOS, no?

TIA Pete
Apps are the first thing I mentioned in my post over on TDR. And my source is the follow up emails I exchanged last night with my Sony contact.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
I'm probably wrong. Let me go double check.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
Wall
Wall began at the beginning.

Device: none
Any word on what the apps will be capable of, exactly? I'm guessing they'll be able to read Adobe-encrypted files...?
Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:55 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If he 650 & 350 are going to be in the SonyStyle stores, I'll be able to go there on Friday to have a look. I'll be able to report how the new screens look.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall View Post
Any word on what the apps will be capable of, exactly? I'm guessing they'll be able to read Adobe-encrypted files...?
They didn't have those details.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:04 AM   #14
darex2
darex2 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-350 (and PRS-505; for sale)
Quote:
All models since PRS-600 support full shutdown by holding power switch for 5 seconds. I don't know why the excitement about it, it's not something you do every day anyway.
I disagree. Maybe I don't use mine as frequently as yours, but when I first got it, I was pretty shocked to see the battery level go down, down, down, and only last a week or so, when I thought the unit was off. That was before I learned about the total shutdown, and have done that every since. It's a pain, but it's worth it, because my battery now lasts months.

I'll check my PRS-505 to see if recent firmware updates have added that feature to the 505.

Thanks.
darex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
What does "flash" mean in this context? I'm guessing you are NOT talking about the flash that has come to be associated with video--not with eInk.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote