Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Exclamation battery voltage

I have about a gazillion battery chargers of the 3.7 volt variety.

(1)If I replaced the plug on one of them with a little mini-usb plug that the 505 uses would it work or just destroy my 505?

(2) Will the Sony PSP wall charger work on the 505? I've heard it will.

Thanks,
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #2
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I think you would find that USB charging is not possible unless the other end of the cable is connected to a computer that stays on (does not hibernate or go on standby). That has been my experience.

I have a Sony PSP charger and it works fine with the 505.
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
My PRS-900 charges through the USB connected to the computer when the computer is off. Even though the computer is not running, the power is still connected, and a charge comes through the USB port. You can check this with a multimeter.

I think you can change the plug on your wall charger to fit. I would make sure to match the Output volts and amps correctly.

I have changed the wall part of my US wall charger to fit an Oz plug, but that is simpler, as the transformer to Output was not changed.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
My PRS-900 charges through the USB connected to the computer when the computer is off. Even though the computer is not running, the power is still connected, and a charge comes through the USB port. You can check this with a multimeter.
Are you sure the current is going the proper way? Some people discovered that shutting down computer with the Reader connected discharges the battery.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #5
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
You will save yourself a lot of grief if you only use the USB connector connected to a real powered on computer. Maybe not even a lap top - some don't provide enough current.

Use wall-wart chargers to the round power connector on the Sony, 5.2 volts, with correct polarity.

I vote for a used PSP charger from Gamestop or someplace similar - should be about three bucks.

Robert
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Are you sure the current is going the proper way? Some people discovered that shutting down computer with the Reader connected discharges the battery.
I am pretty sure. I will double check next time it needs a charge. The multimeter registers a charge through the USB port when the computer is shut down as long as the power is still connected.

I plugged it in when the computer was off and the red charging light had come on. I did transfer it to another computer mid charge because I wanted to use the computer and the USB port it was in. I think the second computer was off, but started after I plugged in the reader.

Last edited by SneakySnake; 04-29-2010 at 11:02 PM.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
I plugged it in when the computer was off and the red charging light had come on. I did transfer it to another computer mid charge because I wanted to use the computer and the USB port it was in. I think the second computer was off, but started after I plugged in the reader.
Most computers will not charge when off.

On many if not most computers just having the machine go to sleep will turn off the red charging light. This is a feature enabling external usb devices to shutdown.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
julo
Enthusiast
julo began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505,900,T2
I used an old 6.0 V (checked the output first, actually 5.3V or so) charger and changed the plug (got it at Radio Shack, watch the polarity) and have been using it now for about 6 months.
However this is NOT for the usb port but for the charge port.
julo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
p3aul
Captain Courageous
p3aul doesn't litterp3aul doesn't litter

Device: calibre, PRS 505
Ok I think I wrote without looking at the ebook Apparently the wall charging input port is not usb but a pin. Also it looks like the 3.7 volt chargers won't work either since y'all say I nedd 5.2 volts. I think you are right about the six volts working, as long as it has the milliampere capacity to match the battery. A larger current capacity won't hurt but a smaller amount won't charge the battery.

I find that my acer aa1 netbook charges the sony just fine and I have about upteen dozen peripherals connected to it! Of course it takes about 5 hours to charge it.
Paul
p3aul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
The actual Sony charger is rated at 2 amps output. I find it kind of surprising that my little 505 can pull that kind of power but it certainly charges well with it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:40 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
The actual Sony charger is rated at 2 amps output. I find it kind of surprising that my little 505 can pull that kind of power but it certainly charges well with it.
I don't know what the current is during charging but I don't believe being rated at 2 amps is the same thing as using 2 amps during the charging process.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote