Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-27-2009, 08:39 AM   #196
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
Changing the region setting worked for me. Its a nice application so thanks to who ever it was to put that suggestion up. It saved me hours of problem solving.

Natalie
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #197
mimoviz
Enthusiast
mimoviz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
No...no no no. There's no way Sony should have let this app let go out to the public. It is just too damn fragile IF, in order to work with it, there are hidden requirements for the host system other than being OSX.
Shame on you all Sony.!
mimoviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #198
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimoviz View Post
No...no no no. There's no way Sony should have let this app let go out to the public. It is just too damn fragile IF, in order to work with it, there are hidden requirements for the host system other than being OSX.
Shame on you all Sony.!
From all that I've seen, the only issue is that the Mac software doesn't work if set to a region where Sony doesn't sell Readers, and the solution is to set it up for a place where they do.

So they're only catering for people where they have a market.

Yes it's an issue - but I think it's a bit much to say that it's a show-stopper that should have prevented them from fixing it. Especially when the fix is simple.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #199
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
From all that I've seen, the only issue is that the Mac software doesn't work if set to a region where Sony doesn't sell Readers, and the solution is to set it up for a place where they do.

Yes it's an issue - but I think it's a bit much to say that it's a show-stopper that should have prevented them from fixing it. Especially when the fix is simple.
have to agree...it's a simple fix.
however, its a shame that technical support is not aware of how to fix it, as I spent over an hour on the phone with them last night trying to get it work...
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #200
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:

I agree completely. I'm so happy that they're supporting PowerPC and 10.4 that I can't seriously consider a little, solvable problem like localization when your location isn't officially supported as an obstacle to release.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #201
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:

Absolutely right - sorry for the folks that had to figure out the workaround, but for most people it worked out of the box. Not running Fusion is just brilliant!

Tech support could have been handled better, but let's face it, the mobileread community is much bigger, and much more motivated to finding a fix fast! I still think Sony have done a pretty nice job, and it has been a good couple of weeks for both Sony fans, and in fact the eBook market in general.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:27 PM   #202
Dura74
Dura74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Portable Reader 505
Anyway, I rewind to my original region and and still works.
Dura74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM   #203
Nvidiot
Connoisseur
Nvidiot began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dura74 View Post
If I change the language of the application I get the following situation:

France: the shop switch to Fnac and rediret me on a outside web page of Fnac web site.
English set to United Kindon I be directed on Waterstones.com/books
etc.

Only in English and United States configuration Ebook Library use its internal shop, but If I go to "my account">"update credit card information" in the fild Country I can choose only between Canada and United States.

If i need some book I'll use the opportunity mentioned by amjbrown (or I use Books on Board)!
Just fill in your address as best you can, then change these fields:
State (I picked NY)
Postal code (I picked a NYC postal code, just use google to find one)
Country (I picked USA)
I did put my country in the extra line you get for your address.

This works fine for two of the creditcards I own.
Nvidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:12 PM   #204
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK, I like the new library. It looks classier than the old library, but otherwise seemed about the same. I read ReyBen's Living History on it this afternoon.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:03 PM   #205
mimoviz
Enthusiast

Im pretty sure this is NOT a locale issue for the mac version. Mine is and always has been set with US.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:13 PM   #206
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimoviz View Post
Im pretty sure this is NOT a locale issue for the mac version. Mine is and always has been set with US.
System Preferences > International > Formats > Region. You have yours set as United States?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:24 PM   #207
mimoviz
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
System Preferences > International > Formats > Region. You have yours set as United States?
Yep!. Totally. No doubt about it.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:47 PM   #208
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmgreen View Post
WHen I try to install the file on Windows Vista I get a VB Run Time Error Error 2738 - Could Not Access VB Run Time for Custom Action.

Any thoughts on this one?

Thanks.
I get this error two, but have not found a way around it yet.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:49 PM   #209
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
I get this error two, but have not found a way around it yet.
Wow, what OS are you running on? A custom action is a script in the installer which does "something". I know, I author Windows Installer installs. You can author Custom Actions in VB Script... perhaps you don't have the windows scripting host on your PC... but it's gotta be pretty old if that is that case.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:55 PM   #210
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Wow, what OS are you running on? A custom action is a script in the installer which does "something". I know, I author Windows Installer installs. You can author Custom Actions in VB Script... perhaps you don't have the windows scripting host on your PC... but it's gotta be pretty old if that is that case.

BOb
I have Windows Vista SP1. I built the PC myself, with the hard drive transferred over from an XP PC (also self-built) and upgraded (yeah, yeah, or DOWNGRADED...save the jokes )to Vista.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote