Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 04:36 PM   #1
Kabowski
Kabowski began at the beginning.

Device: None - but looking
Unclear on Kindle 2 connectivity

As I understand it, the whispernet Kindle2 uses is accesed on the Sprint 3G network.

But if you are outside of the Sprint signal range, can the Kindle 2 still connect to a wireless router in a home or a WiFi hotspot to access the Amazon book store, or receive periodicals like the daily newspaper?

I havent seen this mentioned anywhere yet.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Kindle doesn't have WiFi, only Whispernet which uses Sprint's cell network.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If you're out of signal range, you have to download the content to your computer and transfer it via the USB cable.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Kabowski
Kabowski began at the beginning.

Device: None - but looking
Did the Kindle 1 have a WiFi antenna? I thought I saw an ad for the K2 reading "no more searching for hotspots"
Kabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowski View Post
But if you are outside of the Sprint signal range, can the Kindle 2 still connect to a wireless router in a home or a WiFi hotspot to access the Amazon book store, or receive periodicals like the daily newspaper?
As others said, no. You can d/l on your PC and transfer with USB.

If you are a Sprint customer you can get one of those femtocell things that gives you Sprint CELL signal right in your house.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabowski View Post
Did the Kindle 1 have a WiFi antenna? I thought I saw an ad for the K2 reading "no more searching for hotspots"

No, K1 has Whispernet just like K2 (K2 has a wider range).

The "no hot spots" line just refers to the Whispernet. Turn it on and download, no hot spot needed (unless you're out of Whispernet range then the computer with some kind of internet connection is needed).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Just like the Blackberry Storm, which has the same USB connector as the Kindle 2, the Kindles have no Wifi but instead rely solely on CDMA wireless technology. I am appreciating the boost to 3G performance on the Kindle 2 though. Re-pushing nearly 200 titles from Amazon only took an hour when I first got it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote