Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 10-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #1
JimShep
JimShep began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best Software for converting PDFs to be readable on an Ebook?

I have been thinking about getting an ebook reader for a while now and I am about ready to do it, the sony Prs 505 looks pretty good unless I can find a substantial discount on the older model.

I have a ton of ebooks in PDF format, mostly formated for standard paper size, 8.5X11. So what is my best choice for making these readable on an ebook? Obviously free is best but I don't mind paying if it is worth it. I am on windows XP.

Thanks.
JimShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShep View Post
I have been thinking about getting an ebook reader for a while now and I am about ready to do it, the sony Prs 505 looks pretty good unless I can find a substantial discount on the older model.

I have a ton of ebooks in PDF format, mostly formated for standard paper size, 8.5X11. So what is my best choice for making these readable on an ebook? Obviously free is best but I don't mind paying if it is worth it. I am on windows XP.

Thanks.
if you want a Sony Reader, pdflrf is quite nice.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you're able to spend a little more, and reading PDFs is an important thing for you, note that the iRex iLiad does a good job of reading A4/Letter PDFs without needing to do anything to them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #4
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 Archos 704 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
if you want a Sony Reader, pdflrf is quite nice.
I second this opinion. Pdflrf is marvelous and fast.
ereszet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #5
JimShep
JimShep began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you're able to spend a little more, and reading PDFs is an important thing for you, note that the iRex iLiad does a good job of reading A4/Letter PDFs without needing to do anything to them.
The $700 one That's a bit to much for me. Even $300 is a bit of a stretch for an ebook reader.

Thanks for the tip on pdflrf. I came across this one that make all kinds of claims about how great it makes books look but at $50 it's a bit steep.

Last edited by JimShep; 10-12-2007 at 11:25 PM.
JimShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You won't find an eink ebook reader for less then $250 brand new. And I say $250 meaning the Sony Reader PRS500 where as the PRS505 is $299.99 without any tax or shipping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #7
ereszet
Zealot
ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ereszet has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimShep View Post
The $700 one That's a bit to much for me. Even $300 is a bit of a stretch for an ebook reader.

Thanks for the tip on pdflrf. I came across this one that make all kinds of claims about how great it makes books look but at $50 it's a bit steep.

A second hand Sony PRS-500 in Europe is even over USD 500 (at least the one I bought in UK on e-bay plus the cost of shipping by UPS to the country where I reside now).

As for the Michelangelo in the link you provided it is just a formatter for text based Word documents. Although the author claims that he tried in vain all kind of other utilities to remove line breaks and retain the typesetting, I believe that there are Gutenberg project utilities that can do the job.

Pdflrf is free and works with image based pdfs by removing the white margins, fattening the lines of text, rotating pages from portrait to horizontal and splitting pages in two (or four) to fill the screen horizontally with an image of text (plus a lot of settings for other refinements).
Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
ereszet
Zealot

Pictures attached

I attach two sets of photos, respectively for Sony portrait and landscape mode. The left hand side photos in each set are original pdfs. The right hand side photos are pdfs processed by pdflrf (Sony lrf format).
While originally pdflrf produced only lrf output, now it can process and output zipped png images, that can be converted (externally) to a pdf, improved as the screen visibility is concerned in relation to the original.

For another example see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...958#post105958
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fox portrait.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	642.7 KB
ID:	6209   Click image for larger version

Name:	fox landscape.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	595.6 KB
ID:	6210  

Last edited by ereszet; 10-13-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
cherdman
Enthusiast
cherdman began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X51v
You can also use Adobe Professional to convert them to another format (like HTML for example). But Adobe Professional is expensive and my trial is running out...
cherdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 PM   #10
gmanacsa
Enthusiast
gmanacsa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, X61T Tablet, iPhone, OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereszet View Post
I attach two sets of photos, respectively for Sony portrait and landscape mode. The left hand side photos in each set are original pdfs. The right hand side photos are pdfs processed by pdflrf (Sony lrf format).
While originally pdflrf produced only lrf output, now it can process and output zipped png images, that can be converted (externally) to a pdf, improved as the screen visibility is concerned in relation to the original.
The PDF in landscape looks quite legible to me, and that's how I regularly read PDF-formatted ebooks now. Unless there are vision issues that would make it necessary, why go through the extra step to convert to LRF at all?

Here's another visual data point, showing a pdf ebook in landscape orientation on a PRS-500 (the image links back to the original post, with bigger photos, etc.):

gmanacsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:47 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I like processtext.com Amber PDF Converter. It's quite reasonably priced and does a good job.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #12
Linda
Enthusiast
Linda began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
I have a new 505 and I love it. I have been reading forums all day to find out how to convert adobe PDF to be able to read it on the 505. Which gives the best conversion for PDF -the pdflrf, the Amber PDf or the Adobe Professional? I know this is a dumb question, but if I can figure out how to use the pdflrf - will the converted text them be ready to be read on the 505. If I use the Amber PDF or Adobe Prossional - will the output only be able to be read in Landscape?
Linda is offline   Reply With Quote