Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #16
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
I think part of the problem with the still pictures having a green cast is the size, in pixels, of the image - it's trying to create a picture larger than my D60 Nikon. The video, which only produces an 800x600 image is OK.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #17
melitabel
Enthusiast
melitabel began at the beginning.

Device: entourage edge
Heh heh, glad to meet another pcuik buyer. I am waiting for an ice blue. Alas, I missed the deep blue one I really wanted (too lazy on Sunday) and now won't have it to take to conference in New Orleans this afternoon with me. Considered having it sent to hotel there, but that seemed like a good way to lose a computer. So the PE is going, and my laptop too. Clunky big thing. Y'all tried to tell me I'd want full size for pdfs, and so I do, but I still like the PE for carrying all the time.

And I am sooooo glad to see you all here! My companion bought a PE during Woot and I am still trying to get him up to speed. I'll have time to concentrate on it in the Big Easy.

After upgrading to Ermine, I discovered I have to re-register for Kindle. And now I want Nook, because I seem to remember I can read that on the eInk side?

Cheers, Melitabel
melitabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #18
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
After upgrading to Ermine, I discovered I have to re-register for Kindle. And now I want Nook, because I seem to remember I can read that on the eInk side?
Yes you can read nook books on the eInk, but its a bit strange, when you try to open the book it will ask for a username and password, you have to enter in your first and last names in the username field and then your credit card number used to buy the books in the other field. This is due to b&n's choice of DRM...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:26 AM   #19
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last_of_the_PEs View Post
The decision to run their own "store" was arrogant and stupid, and has caused us to jump through lots of unsuccessful hoops to get Market, and scavenge for apps that should take seconds to download, but at least Entourage paid the price for their arrogance.
I'm not sure you understand why we never had access to the official Android Market, because it had nothing to do with Entourage and whether or not they had their own store.

At the time, Google was very clear about the fact that they did not intend tablets to use the market and did not intend to grant tablets access. As it turned out, SlideMe and other alternative markets ended up being much better sources of apps than the Entourage store, but I don't believe building an app store was really what they cared about. If I recall correctly, they didn't even have one (store for apps, not books) for a long time. But probably, when it became clear that people needed apps (and Google just wasn't going to allow it) and a non-techie way to get apps would be necessary to sell the device to the general public, they tried to put one together.

Be mad at Entourage all you want, as long as it's for accurate reasons.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #20
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
I'm not sure you understand why we never had access to the official Android Market, because it had nothing to do with Entourage and whether or not they had their own store.

At the time, Google was very clear about the fact that they did not intend tablets to use the market and did not intend to grant tablets access. As it turned out, SlideMe and other alternative markets ended up being much better sources of apps than the Entourage store, but I don't believe building an app store was really what they cared about. If I recall correctly, they didn't even have one (store for apps, not books) for a long time. But probably, when it became clear that people needed apps (and Google just wasn't going to allow it) and a non-techie way to get apps would be necessary to sell the device to the general public, they tried to put one together.

Be mad at Entourage all you want, as long as it's for accurate reasons.
should be noted that many other tablets still had market at least installed even though you wouldn't be able to access apps. This would have made it much easier(possible even) to get market working on everyone's eDGe. I'm not sure why entourage removed it, and what else they removed in order to get it to not even work when installed separately, but it kinda screwed us in that regard.
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 PM   #21
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
should be noted that many other tablets still had market at least installed even though you wouldn't be able to access apps.
I can't say about the PE, or about the tablets that came out when the PE did, but when the EE came out I don't recall hearing about any other tablets that actually had the market installed in such a way. (Of course, just because I didn't hear about it doesn't mean it didn't happen, but we were all pretty actively searching and reading at the time.) I'm pretty sure that the only other tablet that was commonly known to be accessing the market at that early time was the Archos, and only by rooting and some hacks done by the community.

A lot did happen in the way of android tablets since the EE first shipped, and of course I don't have the technical background to know what might have been pre-removed from the tablet. It's just that's not how I remember this whole thing going down, at the time (which was well over a year ago).
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by melitabel View Post
Heh heh, glad to meet another pcuik buyer. I am waiting for an ice blue. Alas, I missed the deep blue one I really wanted (too lazy on Sunday) and now won't have it to take to conference in New Orleans this afternoon with me. Considered having it sent to hotel there, but that seemed like a good way to lose a computer. So the PE is going, and my laptop too. Clunky big thing. Y'all tried to tell me I'd want full size for pdfs, and so I do, but I still like the PE for carrying all the time.

And I am sooooo glad to see you all here! My companion bought a PE during Woot and I am still trying to get him up to speed. I'll have time to concentrate on it in the Big Easy.

Cheers, Melitabel
Welcome to MobileRead, Melitabel!

The EE and PE are really quite different, as you'll see! Congratulations and enjoy!!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote