Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 02:34 AM   #1
SoCal
SoCal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Public Library Books

My library "loans" ebooks as Adobe PDF ebooks and Adobe EPub ebooks.

I have a Kindle.

Can I download from the library and convert to Mobi for the Kindle using Calibre?
What happens when the checkout period expires?

Thanks
SoCal
SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:22 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
No. Calibre cannot convert books that are DRM restricted, and library books are almost certain to have DRM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
loximuthal
Connoisseur
loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.loximuthal has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: NST, Kindle Fire, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
No. Calibre cannot convert books that are DRM restricted, and library books are almost certain to have DRM.
But there is a plugin for Calibre that can strip DRM. You'll have to poke around this forum or Google the wider web for more details. I don't know if it will work on library books, and of course different libraries use different formats, etc. I have not yet tried it with my local library, but I plan to give it a whirl.
loximuthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Depending on where you live, it might be illegal to use such a plugin, though. Check before you do.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by loximuthal View Post
But there is a plugin for Calibre that can strip DRM. You'll have to poke around this forum or Google the wider web for more details. I don't know if it will work on library books, and of course different libraries use different formats, etc. I have not yet tried it with my local library, but I plan to give it a whirl.
But that could possibly (as permitted by local laws) be used when you OWN the book.
In this case, the Library OWNS the book and allows you to use it for a period on a legally on (that respects the terms of the loan) registered device.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
If you decide to go down the path of borrowing and converting, you will have to decide whether to abide by the timelimits as removing the drm from the epub library books also removes the automatic "return" of the book to the virtual "shelves."

You can google for Apprentice Alf and find info on how to accomplish this.

In any event you will need the computer reader for those epub books as a minimum as the process requires you have that software and download the books to your computer.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote