Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #1
arcane_scholar
arcane_scholar began at the beginning.

Location: Kaohsiung, Taiwan: currently. Portland, OR: current residence - Jefferson, GA: hometown
Device: Kindle 3
Can I fix ePub page break formatting?

Okay, I'm completely new to this so please bear with me. I've read around and tried to figure things out, but I don't think this is an "edit the CSS file" type issue and I'm not sure what to look for.

I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Well of Ascension". I have the ePub format. At the beginning of each chapter there is a little italicized quote and then the chapter begins. In the ebook format, the quote is adhered to the end of the previous chapter. This kind of funks up the flow of reading, at least for me, as the brain doesn't register that we're onto a new chapter for a second or two.

So I wanted to edit the format to put the italicized quote at the beginning of the new chapter page where it belongs. I edited the ePub format in emacs and see it is basically a bunch of HTML files (which is cool, because I didn't know that's how ebooks were made). When opening the HTML files I see the quote is hardcoded into the wrong place. Which is weird, but all right. So I asked Richard and he said the only way to fix it is to manually edit each HTML file and move the quote. That seems like a lot of work.

I was hoping that someone else had another solution? Or is this just one of those things I'm SOL on? I thought surely there was something concerning moving page breaks and what not, but maybe since ebooks are still pretty new it hasn't developed those yet. I'm not sure. As I said, I'm pretty green to this whole process.

I'm using calibre (0.7.42) on a Mac.
arcane_scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane_scholar View Post
Okay, I'm completely new to this so please bear with me. I've read around and tried to figure things out, but I don't think this is an "edit the CSS file" type issue and I'm not sure what to look for.

I'm reading Brandon Sanderson's "The Well of Ascension". I have the ePub format. At the beginning of each chapter there is a little italicized quote and then the chapter begins. In the ebook format, the quote is adhered to the end of the previous chapter. This kind of funks up the flow of reading, at least for me, as the brain doesn't register that we're onto a new chapter for a second or two.

So I wanted to edit the format to put the italicized quote at the beginning of the new chapter page where it belongs. I edited the ePub format in emacs and see it is basically a bunch of HTML files (which is cool, because I didn't know that's how ebooks were made). When opening the HTML files I see the quote is hardcoded into the wrong place. Which is weird, but all right. So I asked Richard and he said the only way to fix it is to manually edit each HTML file and move the quote. That seems like a lot of work.

I was hoping that someone else had another solution? Or is this just one of those things I'm SOL on? I thought surely there was something concerning moving page breaks and what not, but maybe since ebooks are still pretty new it hasn't developed those yet. I'm not sure. As I said, I'm pretty green to this whole process.

I'm using calibre (0.7.42) on a Mac.
Calibre expects Chapters to start with headings, Not images, Not little ditties.
for most cases this is true.
You have the border case

Sigil can make the repai process fairly easy.
In Sigil Book view, place the Sigil Breaks where they belong. (you can do these all at the together, Sigil keeps things in their proper order
Now in Sigil's BookBrowser, right-click the chapter body (filename): 'join...'
Sigil keeps 'fixing' the references so other than names, things still work as designed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
arcane_scholar
arcane_scholar began at the beginning.

Location: Kaohsiung, Taiwan: currently. Portland, OR: current residence - Jefferson, GA: hometown
Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Calibre expects Chapters to start with headings, Not images, Not little ditties.
for most cases this is true.
You have the border case

Sigil can make the repai process fairly easy.
In Sigil Book view, place the Sigil Breaks where they belong. (you can do these all at the together, Sigil keeps things in their proper order
Now in Sigil's BookBrowser, right-click the chapter body (filename): 'join...'
Sigil keeps 'fixing' the references so other than names, things still work as designed.
Wow! Thank you so much. That wasn't as bad as the other way. I appreciate it very much.
arcane_scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcane_scholar View Post
Wow! Thank you so much. That wasn't as bad as the other way. I appreciate it very much.
Glad to have assisted (you did all the work )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote