Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Keylock keeping current page - not showing screensaver?

This is a really newbie question - I was using my K3 with a city guide PDF and I wanted it locked on a specific page (a map), because while walking I kept pressing buttons accidentally and I didn´t want to slide-unlock every 5 minutes. Is there a way to do this?
thanks again
g.
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The only solution I know of is to make a change (edit) in the firmware to turn off the screensaver permanently. There is a post here on MR with how-to instructions but I do not have the link at the moment.

Other than that, I think not.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
DISCLAIMER- There is a method I've seen on various kindle boards but you need to take care when using a method like this because potentially it could mess up your kindle! So perhaps do some more research first before trying! I haven't tried it personally because I don't want to disable my screensaver - I'm just letting you know that this method does exist and that it's something that can be typed straight into your Kindle search box.

on google look up: ;debugOn ~disableScreensaver

or view the whole of this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99229

Last edited by TheKindleWorm; 10-13-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: adding thread info
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #4
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
There's a hack to disable the time it takes for the screensaver to turn on, isn't there? You can change it to take like 1 hour or w/e you want.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
Albright
Albright began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
;debugOn ~disableScreensaver
I just tried this trick. It doesn't seem to do what the OP is asking for. It made it so that the system didn't seem to go to sleep when I flicked the power switch, and I'm guessing it would make it so it wouldn't automatically sleep either (I didn't wait to find out). ~resumeScreensaver brought it back to behaving normally.

I'm not sure if the Kindle supports bookmarking PDFs, but perhaps you could try setting a bookmark for the page you want to use. Then, the next time you need to look at your Kindle and it's on the wrong page, you could just summon the bookmark to go back to the correct page. Might be worth a try.
Albright is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@curstpriest: Not for the K3.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
guiyoforward
Zealot
guiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the roughguiyoforward is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Thanks for your comments - but I'm not sure disabling the screensaver is enough. I would rather disableTHE KEYBOARD/BUTTONS...
guiyoforward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:47 PM   #8
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
I have a silly recommendation. If you have custom screensavers installed, could you try a transparent PNG?
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@ski_power: Won't work. Blank screen. And won't work even more on the K3, because it does a fade to white before showing the actual screensaver.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote