Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
MO74
MO74 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Need more free ebooks sites

I need some suggestions for more sites offering free ebooks. Aleady know about scribd, gutenberg, pdf genie - but ther has to be so much more out there that doesn'y come up on a google search for "free ebooks" Please, any suggestions ?

I thought that Sony had some deal with Google to download free ebooks there - or was i dreaming ? If that is so, can someone explain how that works please.

Thanks -- Margie
MO74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
You do know there are a lot of wonderfully formatted free books right here on mobileread, right? Check the ebooks section.

Other good sources are
http://www.feedbooks.com/
http://manybooks.net/
http://www.smashwords.com/
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Here's the link for the Google books with Sony, the icon for it is on the main page for the Reader store:
http://ebookstore.sony.com/google-eb...20Million_Rt_1

I also like smashwords for free and cheap books.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm running Sony ebook Store 3.1 (Sony's ebook software). When I click on the ebook store, it takes me to the ebook store homepage which has a section on the right that says "Unearth a classic." Once I log in, there is a bunch of ebooks that pop up. The description says "Choose from over 500,00 free public domain titles." I think that's what you are looking for?

Also, on the bottom of the homepage, it shows a Library Finder. I believe that allows you to find libraries in your area from which you can borrow ebooks from if you have a library card with them.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Vector
Senile Delinquent
Vector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enoughVector will become famous soon enough

Device: several
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO74 View Post

I thought that Sony had some deal with Google to download free ebooks there - or was i dreaming ? If that is so, can someone explain how that works please.
Open your Reader Library and select eBook Store from the menu in the left column. Look for the "Unearth a classic box" on the right side of the home page and click on it. At this point you will be asked to sign in if you are not already signed in, so you need an account.

A good place to locate ebooks on the web, including free ebooks, is inkmesh.com
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #6
MO74
MO74 began at the beginning.

How do I access the free ebooks here at mobileread ? Is it the drop down on the homepage ? I ahev tried that but it seems very hard to search - or maybe I'm doing it wrong ?

I need to see the arranged by subject or author or something more coherent than alphabetical by title.
MO74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
See the tabs near the top of your screen? The second from the left is eBooks. Click on that. You have options of which format you would like to browse within, or browse, which gives all formats. At the top of THAT page, is the alphabet, so you can click on ta particular letter...ie 'C' for Agatha Christie. You can also select the genre of books you may be interested in as well.

Have fun...many folks have spent countless hours creating this incredible library for us to use...enjoy.
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Up above on the left is "ebooks" on the blue bar.
Click "ebooks" and the drop down menu shows options. You can choose "ePub" for the Sony. And you are taken to this page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	s1.JPG
Views:	281
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	42428click me

You can choose the type genre you want from the drop down menu.

Name:	s2.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	42429click me

I chose mystery and the list comes up from the beginning.

Name:	s3.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	42430click me

On the right is a search option to look for specific books or authors. Just type it in and the search will bring it up.

Name:	s4.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	42431click me

I typed in "doyle" and clicked "go".

Name:	s5.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	42432click me

I hope this helps.

Last edited by dreams; 01-03-2010 at 06:56 PM.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote