Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
"I'm reading" feature on Glo

I'm just transitioning to a Glo from the old original Kobo reader. While it's fantastic and all - I have a question. Does it the Glo have anything like the old "I'm reading" button/selection/feature that the Kobo had?
Say I'm reading a book, and I'm halfway through it. I'm importing new books into the Glo...and when I'm done importing and want to resume reading, I have to scroll through my entire library and find/select that book. The old Kobo used to have a "I'm reading" tab that showed the books you were currently reading.
Does the Glo have quick and easy way to go back to the books you were reading?
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcott View Post
I'm just transitioning to a Glo from the old original Kobo reader. While it's fantastic and all - I have a question. Does it the Glo have anything like the old "I'm reading" button/selection/feature that the Kobo had?
Say I'm reading a book, and I'm halfway through it. I'm importing new books into the Glo...and when I'm done importing and want to resume reading, I have to scroll through my entire library and find/select that book. The old Kobo used to have a "I'm reading" tab that showed the books you were currently reading.
Does the Glo have quick and easy way to go back to the books you were reading?
I'm afraid not. What you describe is a huge annoyance to a lot of use. Why push a book you're reading off the home screen just because you added new books? Gah.

However, you can organise the library by recent reads. I *think* that would mean the most recently read OR the highest % read through the book on top of the list.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
wcott
Enthusiast
wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!wcott , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I'm afraid not. What you describe is a huge annoyance to a lot of use. Why push a book you're reading off the home screen just because you added new books? Gah.

However, you can organise the library by recent reads. I *think* that would mean the most recently read OR the highest % read through the book on top of the list.

Well, that solves that. While certainly not a major concern...it is somewhat aggravating. I've got HUNDREDS of books on my Glo, and it's a PITA to have to scroll through them all to get back to my partially-finished book. I'm hoping that maybe they might address this in some future software update.
Thanks!
wcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You could also use Shelves and add the book(s) you are reading to a shelf "I'm Reading"
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
clsdclsd
Zealot
clsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five wordsclsdclsd can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcott View Post
I've got HUNDREDS of books on my Glo, and it's a PITA to have to scroll through them all to get back to my partially-finished book.
Thanks!
(I have just about 30 books on my Touch, but) after uploading more than 5 books to it, the most recent reads disappear from the home screen. To find the one I want to continue reading is not so painful, because of the search function. Obviously, I have to know the title of the book. Starting the search and typing just three to four characters (at most) of the title, the one i was looking for would appear on the list of the titles which match the search pattern. I'm still on the side that it should not put the most recent uploads in place of most recent reads, but navigating back to the one I'd like to continue is not a big deal this way.
clsdclsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
(I have just about 30 books on my Touch, but) after uploading more than 5 books to it, the most recent reads disappear from the home screen. To find the one I want to continue reading is not so painful, because of the search function. Obviously, I have to know the title of the book. Starting the search and typing just three to four characters (at most) of the title, the one i was looking for would appear on the list of the titles which match the search pattern. I'm still on the side that it should not put the most recent uploads in place of most recent reads, but navigating back to the one I'd like to continue is not a big deal this way.
I have over 3000 books on my touch and use the Shelves management feature to handle the book organization. I am using Calibre to create the Shelves, it seems to be handleing this job quite well. I dont use Calibre to push my books to the device as I find there are still a myriade of issues still that need to be addressed. But the creation of shelves is great. I would make only one plea to the kobo Developers when we add books please rejig the firmware to leave the books we are currently reading on the home screen and instead add the books to a just added section. Honestly I don't understand the lack of common sense here from Kobo at all. I still think they need to Uncripple the Desktop Software and allow the addition of management of our entire book collections not just the books we buy from Kobo.

regards,

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
I have over 3000 books on my touch and use the Shelves management feature to handle the book organization. I am using Calibre to create the Shelves, it seems to be handleing this job quite well. I dont use Calibre to push my books to the device as I find there are still a myriade of issues still that need to be addressed. But the creation of shelves is great.
What are the issues? And if you don't use calibre to send the books, how do you do it? And as you are not using calibre for that, I am a bit surprised the shelf management part is working correctly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
... I would make only one plea to the kobo Developers when we add books please rejig the firmware to leave the books we are currently reading on the home screen and instead add the books to a just added section. ...
+100
joiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #9
tkavan
Groupie
tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.tkavan can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
True, but there is a little quirk. "Recently Read" is a list of books you recently opened, both books you are reading and books you have finished. When you finish a book it doesn't disappear from this list, but gets pushed down by the next book you open.

So it's not a list of just the books you are currently reading, but it does serve the purpose.
tkavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And it has new books that have been added to the device. Because of that, I always think of it as the "Recently fiddled with" list.

The Glo/Touch/Mini firmware does have another list. It is the one used for the Home screen. You can use this in the library list if you edit the conf file on the device and set the current sorting method. I posted the details in last year, but I can't find them now. I thought the thread had "tweak" in its name, but I must be mistaken.

For my curiosity, could someone with one of the older devices look and see if there is a "Kobo eReader.conf" file on the device. I would be interested to see some of the settings it has.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:36 AM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Send by eMail
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
Lily7
Zealot
Lily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmosLily7 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Voyage, Paperwhite 5th gen, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I dont use Calibre to push my books to the device as I find there are still a myriade of issues still that need to be addressed.
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What are the issues? And if you don't use calibre to send the books, how do you do it?
I have these same questions! I would also like to know: is it pushing books to the device via calibre that causes problems, or having them processed by calibre at all?

I ask because I've tried very hard to learn how to edit the epubs via sigil but I just can't get it, so I need Calibre in the meantime for adding book covers and removing some formatting, as well as removing something else sometimes. But a lot of times my ebooks are kinda wonky one way or another and I often wonder if it's calibre.

Last edited by Lily7; 02-14-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Lily7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #13
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The Glo/Touch/Mini firmware does have another list. It is the one used for the Home screen. You can use this in the library list if you edit the conf file on the device and set the current sorting method. I posted the details in last year, but I can't find them now. I thought the thread had "tweak" in its name, but I must be mistaken.
David, is this the message you are referring to?

Even if it is not, great post!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily7 View Post
I have these same questions! I would also like to know: is it pushing books to the device via calibre that causes problems, or having them processed by calibre at all?
Yes, you can send bad books to the device using calibre. Calibre updates the metadata when it sends, but doesn't touch the areas of the files that I think are the likely causes of the processing problems. But, a conversion should fix the problems. This will force a rewrite of all of the book and it should remove the problems.
Quote:
I ask because I've tried very hard to learn how to edit the epubs via sigil but I just can't get it, so I need Calibre in the meantime for adding book covers and removing some formatting, as well as removing something else sometimes. But a lot of times my ebooks are kinda wonky one way or another and I often wonder if it's calibre.
Loading an epub into calibre and then sending it to the device won't change the formatting. If you do a conversion, it can change depending on the options.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
David, is this the message you are referring to?

Even if it is not, great post!
That's the one. Glad you like it.