Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-18-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
R3rr0
R3rr0 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Odyssey
Text Rotation (Flip)

Hi All.

It's possible to rotate a text of 180 deg in ADE? I'm working on a paper-book that contain some text flipped, and want to digitalize it. Since I don't want to insert images of text in it and want to maintain the original layout, I try this one:

-webkit-transform: rotate(-180deg)

that works in Sigil: the text is displayed correctly flipped. Then saving and opening with ADE, the text is straight. Even on my device (cybook odyssey) is straight. Should I use a script? Does it works in ADE?

Thanks
R3rr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Since ADE doesn't use the webkit software, I'm not too surprised that a webkit specific instruction doesn't work. I think you will have to create a mirror reversed version of the font and then embed the subset you need. That would work on all readers that allow embedded fonts.

-- N.B. I have no idea how hard that would be, even though it is computable
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
You could try with SVG. I used SVG to rotate same text in Tom Sawyer (Chapter 5). It worked in ADE and in my reader.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If it's just a few words, I'd use an image file. Easy and portable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
R3rr0

@ Jellby
I'm downloading the epub and I'll try to understand how to do (Until now, I did only few books and I don't know svg). For now, thanks a lot
Old 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #6
readx
Connoisseur
readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.readx 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Maybe sıɥʇ will work for you
readx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
R3rr0

the text is too long. You loose CAPS and other stuff that should remain. Trying svg but too complex, without a straight exemple of a 180 deg rotated text it's nearly impossible for me. Trying even in the book mentioned above by Jellby, but changing the value of -2.5 in "rotation" to a value of -180 simply make disappear the text.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by readx View Post
Maybe sıɥʇ will work for you
fancy - didn't know about this one. ibooks has some css3 support, you know if it works there?
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3rr0 View Post
but changing the value of -2.5 in "rotation" to a value of -180 simply make disappear the text.
Probably because it moved out of the viewport.

You can try simpler samples:

http://tutorials.jenkov.com/svg/text-element.html
http://www.w3schools.com/svg/svg_text.asp

But I'm afraid that would only work for short texts (one line), as SVG does no automatic linebreaking.
Old 01-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
R3rr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post

But I'm afraid that would only work for short texts (one line), as SVG does no automatic linebreaking.
Thanks. What make me angry, is that with webkit instruction (simple, very simple ) it works perfectly in Sigil, that IS an epub editor. Why does not work in ade? Really confused... I'll add to the epub the images of text, without editing. Bother&pessimism...
Old 01-18-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3rr0 View Post
Thanks. What make me angry, is that with webkit instruction (simple, very simple ) it works perfectly in Sigil, that IS an epub editor.
Because that webkit instruction is specific for webkit renderers, which Sigil happens to be. And of course, ADE is not webkit-based.

Even if it were, that webkit instruction is not required by the ePub spec, so you should not rely on it. In ePub 3 maybe you can use CSS3 properties for that, but don't hold your breath either. Anyway, Sigil is not doing anything wrong there, neither is ADE, you are just using a property that's out of the ePub spec, and each renderer may or may not support it, at its discretion.

Just remember: Sigil is an ePub editor that lets you create valid ePub (2.0.1) files. It is not a reference ePub render, whatever it renders is only orientative, subject to webkit bugs and features, and other ePub viewers will have their own bugs and limitations too.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #12
R3rr0

Thanks for the explanations and for the advices, Jellby. As I say, I will skip the problem by inserting the images of the text or, more likely, make a single line note "flipped in the original text" before the text. Thanks again for the assistance.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it's just a few words, I'd use an image file. Easy and portable.
More of a mess when someone wants to change the text size and the image stays the same. Besides, with Calibre's font subsetting, it won't take that much space for the embedded fonts.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
More of a mess when someone wants to change the text size and the image stays the same. Besides, with Calibre's font subsetting, it won't take that much space for the embedded fonts.
Small inline images also zoom when the text size is changed in most rendering engines, although resolution doesn't improve
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #15
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Another possibility would be to simply embed a free upside down font. For example, Quirkus Upside Down, however, this would only be feasible for single letters because words would need to be mirrored, since very few ereaders support bidirectional control characters.
Besides, mirrored text would be rendered illegible if the user disables the use of embedded fonts.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote