Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-07-2008, 05:36 AM   #1
ssdivot1
ssdivot1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Narrowed down to Cybook or Kindle but can't decide!

Hi there,

I'm new here, having only really thought about e-readers for the first time a few days ago. I was at Amazon looking for a book and watched the Kindle video and, although I'm not much given to impulse, immediately thought "I MUST HAVE THAT"! haha. In fact I can't remember the last time I was so smitten by something material. The E-ink technology, which I previously was oblivious to, is fantastic!

For the last few days I've been reading and researching and driving myself crazy with "should I, shouldn't I", and I've decided I should, but now am almost getting depressed over my inability to decide on which particular reader to get!

I travel half of each month and am always carting around several paperbacks.
I read mostly fantasy or science fiction novels. I don't care at all about PDF files which apparently a lot of these readers have problems with.

I have finally narrowed my selection down to either the Kindle or the Cybook 3.

For some undefinable and probably illogical reason I really "want" to like the Kindle better but my logical side is leaning toward the Cybook.

One advantage of the Cybook (in regards to what's important to me, not necessarily other folks) that I'm aware of is that it is significantly thinner and lighter. It seems like it would fit better in my already full backpack.

It looks like the Cybook would be more ergonomic than the Kindle for reading in bed and in plane seats, but I'm not really sure about that at all. Any input in this area?

Those are really the main reasons I'm leaning toward the Cybook, although I also like that you can customize your fonts.

The Kindle has the wireless capability. Which really is super cool as I would love being able to access wikipedia on a whim. So many times during the day I do think "I should look such and such obscure thing" up when I get to a computer, only to forget all about it. I don't really care too much about being able to get the books sent directly to the device, while it is nice, not being able to do so on the Cybook is no deal breaker. I guess I'm only interested in these features if they do not interfere (by way of all those keys and requiring a thicker form factor) at all with actually reading.

As far as content availability goes, I did some looking around, and although all the formats and such are rather confusing still to me, it seems like there is plenty available for both. If I understand correctly I'd be able to read a mobipocket formatted book on either device, but not a Kindle formatted book on the Cybook (without some kind of "hack).

Well, I'm not sure if anyone can help me decide, as it comes down to personal preference. I do wish I could just hold each of them in person, then I'm sure the decision would be clear! But if anyone has used both devices and could comment on the actual comfort of holding and using while reading in bed or in a plane, or any other ergonomic issues, maybe it would help me. In any case I'm so happy I found these forums, as it is the best source of consolidated information I found on e-readers!

Sorry for rambling on so long!

stephanie
ssdivot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:42 AM   #2
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Welcome to the forum. I see your sig says you have a Kindle but I guess that is 'to be determined later' in baseball parlance.

If you do go with Cybook then by all means check out the NAEB thread
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21749 I ordered mine through them and saved $75 off the Bookeen price.

You've probably seen this page but if not check it out for all the detail in the world about these devices:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix

I understand the Cybook is so small it will fit nicely in a ladies purse. Either device is great and you will be pleased whatever you choose.

I sent you a personal message with some links to books you might find of interest. This is a great hobby and very addictive.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdivot1 View Post
It looks like the Cybook would be more ergonomic than the Kindle for reading in bed and in plane seats, but I'm not really sure about that at all. Any input in this area?

As far as content availability goes, I did some looking around, and although all the formats and such are rather confusing still to me, it seems like there is plenty available for both. If I understand correctly I'd be able to read a mobipocket formatted book on either device, but not a Kindle formatted book on the Cybook (without some kind of "hack).
The Cybook is smaller and lighter, but not that much smaller and lighter. The Kindle is ok for reading in bed and in plane seats.

MOBI (or PRC) ebooks without DRM are readable on the Kindle. Secure (DRM-laden) MOBI ebooks from some stores (but not others) can be authorized for the Kindle, but still need an extra conversion step. Alternatively, the DRM from all recent Secure MOBI ebooks can be stripped to produce a DRM-free MOBI file which is readable on the Kindle. Reading authorized MOBI ebooks on a Kindle is probably legal in the US, but stripping DRM from an ebook (even for format shifting) may not be legal.

You need to own a Kindle to buy Kindle ebooks from Amazon. Not all Secure Kindle ebooks are in the AZW format, but the DRM from AZW ebooks can be stripped to produce a DRM-free MOBI file that is readable on the Cybook.

A Kindle owner is likely to buy Secure ebooks from Amazon. This locks them in to some extent, although AZW ebooks can be converted to MOBI. The Cybook will read MOBI ebooks from many vendors, and MOBI ebooks are likely to be usable on many current and future devices.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have finally narrowed my selection down to either the Kindle or the Cybook 3.
The Sony reader will work very well for you, based on your Use Cases. It is also probably the only unit you can have "tommorow" if you order it today. The Kindle and CyBook could take 4 to 6 weeks to get your hands on. Unless you get luck and find that books on board or some other place has it in stock.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
The Sony reader will work very well for you, based on your Use Cases. It is also probably the only unit you can have "tommorow" if you order it today. The Kindle and CyBook could take 4 to 6 weeks to get your hands on. Unless you get luck and find that books on board or some other place has it in stock.

BOb
Not that bad for the Gen3 - they're saying 1st week in May.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #6
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I can agree on the Sony Reader.

Frankly, it all comes down to extra features. In all three cases, you have the same exact size and spec screen.

For me, the decision about of the Sony over the Kindle was made in three parts:

1. I didn't like the lead time of shipment for the Kindle.
2. I was uncertain that the price was worth the difference in product.. because..
3. I have been a Sprint customer for a long time, and know full well that what they say will be "free for life" might not exactly be that. I remember being told I can tether my bluetooth phone to my laptop for internet so long as I have a dataplan on the phone.. for life... and just recently got a nice phone call from them telling me that that needs to stop.

So be aware, if you get the Kindle, you are relying on Sprint to keep their word and on Amazon to keep theirs.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:32 AM   #7
ssdivot1
ssdivot1 began at the beginning.

Well folks, I ordered the Kindle, even though the Cybook 3 is still very attractive to me. I guess I couldn't resist the lure of the connectivity. So I just took the plunge and am settled in for the long wait! Thank you for your input. The comment on Sprint is interesting as I myself had a huge disagreement with them not too long ago and swore I'd never use them again, and now I will be.

stephanie
ssdivot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Well folks, I ordered the Kindle, even though the Cybook 3 is still very attractive to me. I guess I couldn't resist the lure of the connectivity. So I just took the plunge and am settled in for the long wait! Thank you for your input. The comment on Sprint is interesting as I myself had a huge disagreement with them not too long ago and swore I'd never use them again, and now I will be.

stephanie
Well, if it is any consolation, you are not using Sprint directly. Amazon is using Sprint infrastructure but that is common among cell-phone providers to make deals. Amazon controls the access and customer support. Sprint is only behind the scenes.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Redcard
Addict
Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Redcard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Well, if it is any consolation, you are not using Sprint directly. Amazon is using Sprint infrastructure but that is common among cell-phone providers to make deals. Amazon controls the access and customer support. Sprint is only behind the scenes.

Dale
That's what they say for now. But, relying on a company to keep their word "in perpetuity" is oftentimes hit or miss. And relying on Sprint to do that .. well.. we'll see in three or four years if everyone's still willing to do it for free.

I loved the product offering myself.. I just couldn't justify the price difference, and when I de-risked that fear out of it, I was faced with three readers with roughly the same featureset, one of which I could have now, the other two I'd have to wait for.
Redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcard View Post
That's what they say for now. But, relying on a company to keep their word "in perpetuity" is oftentimes hit or miss. And relying on Sprint to do that .. well.. we'll see in three or four years if everyone's still willing to do it for free.

I loved the product offering myself.. I just couldn't justify the price difference, and when I de-risked that fear out of it, I was faced with three readers with roughly the same featureset, one of which I could have now, the other two I'd have to wait for.
No one is doing anything for free. Amazon is paying sprint, probably set up as an MVNO. Your book purchase includes "wispernet" delivery. The browseing of Wikipedia is said to be "experimental" so there is no expectation that it will always be "free" (included?) anyway.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Wikipedia is supposed to be permanent. Other free browsing is experimental.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 05:48 AM   #12
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
i would rather shoot my dawg instead of deciding on an ebook reading device today. And since I currently do no have a dawggie my neighbor would be a tad unhappy with me if I borrowed theirs.

So I decided to not decide and opted for the N800. I justified that I can also use it to access the web (I have EVDO RevA mobile broadband and a few gadgets to let me access the web pretty much anywhere via wifi and an EVDO router so, like the Kindle I can do wiki and dictionary lookups (or local as I can have up to 64GB memory on the N800.)

I know I am avoiding things but none of the devices have a display I am really happy with because they ALL lack contrast to my eye. As much as I like the features on the Kindle, it's not there yet for me. As much as I like the look of the Sony, it's not even close to there because of the limited formats. And the Cybook is almost the device for me. Lacks just enough, for me personally that I am going to wait to see what shakes loose over the next year or so...I have an twitch that Amazon is not too happy with the production issue and might be looking to fix this by either buying the company that makes the displays or coming out with a whole new device come October/November...face it every day they are out of stock they loose hundreds of sales which can eventually turn to a thousand or more if they get everything just right. Demand seems to show there is a solid market...now Amazon needs to secure a steady supply of devices. As do any company who wants to be a player in this market. I wanna see Cybook win because they are the leetle company that could, ya know? But Sony has the deepest pockets and Amazon has the content and brand people associate with books of all sorts.

But, aside from shooting my non-existant dawggie, I would likely go with the Kindle or the Cybook based on a coin flip. Though since you can still do some web browsing with the EVDO (I think right?) that might tease me over to the Kindle Kamp. But if either of them added the ability to write on the display like the iliad then that would be my choice hands down, at the same price point of course.

Last edited by brecklundin; 04-11-2008 at 05:56 AM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
I know I am avoiding things but none of the devices have a display I am really happy with because they ALL lack contrast to my eye.
Have you actually used one "for real", as a matter of interest?

For me, an eInk display absolutely "wipes the floor" with any LCD screen, and I say that after reading on LCD screens for 20-odd years. I'd never go back to an LCD display for book reading.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
eInk is the best, IMHO, for reading. I have bad eyes and eInk is by far the least stressful on my eyes. The only caveat is that I must have sufficient light, just like when reading a pbook. I read on backlit LCDs for years and it was okay but definitely caused eyestrain. eInk is great and I can't wait for it to get better, such as better contrast and larger sizes. Color would be nice, too. Better contrast would allow me to read in lower lighting situations without an additional light source and larger screen size would make reading periodicals and PDF formatted documents easier.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #15
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
eInk is the best, IMHO, for reading. I have bad eyes and eInk is by far the least stressful on my eyes. The only caveat is that I must have sufficient light, just like when reading a pbook. I read on backlit LCDs for years and it was okay but definitely caused eyestrain. eInk is great and I can't wait for it to get better, such as better contrast and larger sizes. Color would be nice, too. Better contrast would allow me to read in lower lighting situations without an additional light source and larger screen size would make reading periodicals and PDF formatted documents easier.
Agreed... that was one of the deciding factors for me. Plus there's the fact that having a Kindle would lock you in to purchasing eBooks from Amazon. I feel like my Cybook gives me a lot more freedom in that respect.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote