Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #16
NzoMatrix
NzoMatrix began at the beginning.

You might want to look at the RAmos W7. It's not released yet but will be released by end of April. AllPMP and HouseofDap have it available for preorder. It's supposed to support Marketplace. You can read this post about it here http://www.mp4nation.net/forum/viewt...p?f=22&t=17211

I would wait though since there will be a lot more choices in the future at lower prices.

Last edited by NzoMatrix; 04-11-2010 at 01:46 PM.
NzoMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, Asus TF300T
Thanks for the info, NzoMatrix. I'll watch for the w7.

I am really thinking you are right though, that the time isn't really ripe to dive into the android tablet market. Some nice tablets are out, or expected out any moment, but for some reason, most of them seem to not be supporting the android marketplace. Perhaps there is some technical reason for that which I'm not aware of.
jalandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #18
sordie
Enthusiast
sordie began at the beginning.

Device: IREX 800SG
jalandar: currently Google does not support Marketplace with any Tablets - pure business decision. Google is planning to release a tablet soon, and looks like will have a tablet Marketplace as well:

http://tablet-news.com/2010/03/20/er...tablets-video/

However, which of the existing tablets will actually get the Tablet marketplace is another question. If this is important to you, I'd sit tight another month or two.
sordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #19
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
I just ordered an Entourage Edge. We'll see how that works out...
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #20
jalandar
Connoisseur
jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jalandar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just cant justify spending that much on a tablet/ebook reader, myself.

If I am going to spend that much, then one of the longer battery life netbooks is a more attractive proposition, like the Asus UL30A-X5 with a 12 hr battery life under normal usage for $599.

Will wait and see what this new Google android tablet is all about, but knowing Google, it wont come in my price range. Anything more than $300 to my door is just not worth the proposition for me.

Anxiously awaiting to find out what tablet Dulin was discussing, and if it is the iLet Mini, then hearing how it stacks up.
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 05:34 AM   #21
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
How about the Asus T91MT tablet?

jswinden has an interesting comparison of his T91 versus his other e-readers here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73724

I'm certainly very happy with both my netbook cheapie and my larger tablet PC. They both do every kind of reading that I need, from all book formats through to PDFs, online newspapers, forums, reference site and so on.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:57 AM   #22
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i have a 7" android tablet on the way for review that might be what your looking for. Its supposed to ship monday or so and I should have it by end of next week. retail I expect will be $200.

don't want to say more before i have one in hand.
Did it actually ship? If it's what I think it is, believe it or not, I actually saw a real photo of it.
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I havent received a tracking number from Haleron but I also ordered one from the manufacturer in China
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
Katelyn
Addict
Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Katelyn has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocketbook 360, Iphone 3g, Sony 505, REB1200, GEB1150
I've written Haleron a couple time using the "ask us a question" link on their Mini page and surprise - no response. Probably because I'm asking to see real photos of the device. If you would send me a PM with the link to the Chinese manufacture, that would be great. I'm bound and determined to get my hands on a Haleron Mini or an Enso zenpad.

ADDED: I found the manufacturer so no need to send me info. Looks like I would have to be a business owner to order one direct but I may inquire anyway to see what happens..

Last edited by Katelyn; 04-14-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Addendum
Katelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #25
jalandar
Connoisseur

Can either of you let me know if you get the Haleron, and maybe a mini-review? (and maybe where I could order one, or use my business to convince them to let me buy a "sample" model).

I am leaning towards the Archos 7 home tablet (Amazon has it for pre-order now) or the iLet (or the Zenpad if they start actually shipping them).

The advantage I see to the Archos 7 is that I am fairly sure the archosfans.com guys will get the marketplace working on it, as they appear to have done for the archos 5 earlier this year using a custom firmware patch.

Though if enough of the Zenpaid and/or iLet minis get out there, I'm sure similar solutions will be found for them as well, as they both are likely quite customizable for those with the know-how.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #26
jalandar
Connoisseur

Found a supposed 7" android MID tablet on Ebay just now sold by a hong kong dealer for around $175ish.

Over 200 positive feedback, but most of that is from the sale of SD cards and a few for a Windows CE tablet. Couldn't locate any feedback from any purchases involving the android MID.

Kinda suspicious because the first auctions went up yesterday for it, in line with the news reports about Google's own forthcoming android tablet.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalandar View Post
Found a supposed 7" android MID tablet on Ebay just now sold by a hong kong dealer for around $175ish.

Over 200 positive feedback, but most of that is from the sale of SD cards and a few for a Windows CE tablet. Couldn't locate any feedback from any purchases involving the android MID.

Kinda suspicious because the first auctions went up yesterday for it, in line with the news reports about Google's own forthcoming android tablet.
There are three sellers on ebay at the moment, 2 android tablets and 1 windowsCE and, yeah, I've noticed none of them have feedback for those particular devices yet. One seller doesn't have feedback period. I've added one of each seller to my watchlist so I can find them again and plan to check back in a week to 2 weeks to see if feedback has started to pop-up. If these are legitimate products I'd be very interested in one myself. Here's hoping.

Beth
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:33 PM   #28
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just checked again and the seller with the most feedback has received a couple of good feedbacks on a WindowsCE tablet but they don't have any currently listed. I'm also curious about the fact that both commented on fast service/shipment yet the auctions they won were both 3 or more weeks old. I've ordered twice from China recently and had my orders within days. 3 weeks is not fast service. At least not to me.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #29
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
mine is on the way from the manufacturer. Interesting- they had a largish order for a branded device so ill be getting one with that companies name on it. It'll be interesting to see who when it arrives.

no word from haleron itself. few more days and it gets disputed with visa.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist

Cool. Let us know how it goes. E-ink is okay but I can't wait to have a backlit device again that isn't the size of a phone.

Tags
android, tablet