Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
luke_70it
luke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo glo
is it possible to directly import google ebooks from Kobo glo?

Hi all,
I just purchased a Kobo glo, and I'm happy of quality and features of the reader.
Actually my pc is broken, and I want to import my ebooks (purchased from google play books) directly from the ereader.
I can download from the kobobrowser the acsm file from the "download epub file" link on the play books web site, but kobo doesn't have a file manager and I cannot open the acsm file...
Is it possible to download the epub directly from the reader or do I need a pc to put ebooks (other then kobobooks) in the reader?

Thank you in advance
Luca
luke_70it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Hi luke_70it,

Kobo ereaders can't handle acsm files. In order to get Adobe DRM'd books onto your kobo you will need a PC with Adobe Digital Editions software on it. You'll need an Adobe ID (which you probably already have) and you'll have to use the ADE software to authorize your kobo.

Open the acsm files in ADE and the books will be downloaded to your computer. You can then transfer the books to your kobo.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
No, unfortunately not, its one of the (many) problems with Digital Rights Management. ASCM files aren't even e-books; it's more of a passport which allows the appropriate program (i.e. Adobe Digital Editions) to download the e-book file which then can be put it on an authorized device such as your new Glo.

Here is Google's Instructions:
http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1241374

If the book doesn’t have DRM as is often the case for free books you can use the built in web browser to search and download them. For example you can navigate over to http://www.gutenberg.org/ and download directly any of the .epub files directly into your device. (Note that while it will ask you to confirm the download there doesn’t seem to be any indication when it finishes, you should see the book sitting in your library once you exit the browser.)
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have downloaded free books from feedbooks directly to my Kobo. They are same same free books available from gutenberg maybe better formatting. Easier to use a computer to shop for and download books. Feedbooks have links to other books by same author and related books. I see these links using my Sony T1 but not when using my Kobo readers.
http://www.feedbooks.com/
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:46 AM   #5
luke_70it
luke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to beholdluke_70it is a splendid one to behold

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
No, unfortunately not, its one of the (many) problems with Digital Rights Management. ASCM files aren't even e-books; it's more of a passport which allows the appropriate program (i.e. Adobe Digital Editions) to download the e-book file which then can be put it on an authorized device such as your new Glo.

Here is Google's Instructions:
http://support.google.com/googleplay...answer=1241374

If the book doesn’t have DRM as is often the case for free books you can use the built in web browser to search and download them. For example you can navigate over to http://www.gutenberg.org/ and download directly any of the .epub files directly into your device. (Note that while it will ask you to confirm the download there doesn’t seem to be any indication when it finishes, you should see the book sitting in your library once you exit the browser.)
It's a shame!
I undestand kobo has no interest in support other ebooks store, but it's theoretically possible to support acsm file handling from kobo glo.
In my android tablet, if i download the acsm file and import it in aldiko reader, aldiko downloads the Adobe DRM epub and add it to its library.
I hope kobo can do this, but unfortunately this is not possible.

I already use ADE with the sony PRS-650. One of the reasons I gave the kobo reader to my wife to replace her old sony PRS-650, was the wifi capability, in the hope she can manage ebooks directly from the ereader.
Now I know this is only possible for kobobooks...

Do anyone know if kobo support at least opds catalogues?

Thank you for all replies!!

Ciao
Luca
luke_70it is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_70it View Post
It's a shame!
I am not aware of any ereader device which would function in that manner (one that has ADE built directly into it), for that sort of functionality you need a tablet and the appropriate app. The real shame is DRM. I mean you not really buying the book so much as you are just leasing the rights to read it, and the terms of how and where you can read it are dictated unilaterally by the publisher.

No OPDS support, though a quick search shows that some innovative programmers here have thought about it and made attempts at a client. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188771
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post

I believe the Sony's (at least the T2) can handle ASCM files.

For example:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=202166
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke_70it View Post
[...]in the hope she can manage ebooks directly from the ereader.
Now I know this is only possible for kobobooks... [...]
Well, not just kobobooks, also non-DRM ebooks, as filmo suggested.

ACSM support would be a nice new feature though. I wasn't aware that other ereaders supported them.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Well, not just kobobooks, also non-DRM ebooks, as filmo suggested.

ACSM support would be a nice new feature though. I wasn't aware that other ereaders supported them.
Yes, the Sony T1 & T2 allow you to input your ADE username & pw on the device and download acsm files (DRM'd) directly to the reader using the browser.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote