Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 AM   #1
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
Read an Ebook Week mysteries thread (freebies and bargains)

As was suggested below (by Koland and Bookratt, if my memory serves me right), I am starting a thread just for mystery and detective stories offered at free or at bargain price during Read an Ebook Week.

Connie Shelton, Deadly Gamble: The First Charlie Parker Mystery (code RE100 for free copy). Further volumes in his series, which I haven't read, were free for Kindle recently, so it's nice to be able to add the first volume to the collection (not a romance, really, but I'm too lazy to start a mystery thread right now).

Revised to add: Connie Shelton also offers Sweet Masterpiece, the first volume in her Samantha Sweet series, for free. The second and third Charlie Parker mysteries are available at 50% off, as is the second Samantha Sweet book.

Last edited by Britomart; 03-05-2012 at 02:08 AM. Reason: added titles
Britomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Canadian Deborah Nicholson offers 50% off her novels, some in her formerly Severn House-published mystery series set in Alberta (1st in series House Report was a Smashwords pricing-catchup freebie, but it's only 99 cents (regular introductory price) if you missed it).
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #3
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Thanks, I picked up a couple of Nicholson's books to try.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
free at Smashwords- Bad Karma by Pat Crudden

This is listed already in the author self-promotions forum, but it should be part of this thread, too.
free at Smashwords with coupon this week:
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/126153

Bad Karma by Pat Crudden. I'

ve been following a very popular "Who's Your Hard Man?" thread over on the Reading Recommendations MR forum, started by MR member Hard-Boiled Pat, none other than Pat Crudden-- kind of tickled to see his first ebook out!
No surprise that it's in the "hard-boiled" genre! Also available, but not free, at a range of other outlets including Amazon, B&N as mentioned on Pat's self-promo thread.

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:54 PM   #5
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I went hunting through Smashwords Read-an-Ebook-Week sale and found a few mysteries on sale whose authors I recognized. This is definitely not an exhaustive list, or even a “recommended” list, since most of these aren’t really my type of thing - just some previously print-published books I found on the way to the sale . And if any of these duplicate someone else’s posting, I apologize. I didn’t see any of these in this REW thread, anyway.

Lois Greiman has a series with Chrissy McMullen, a psychologist (and former waitress) in Los Angeles. The first several in the series were published by Dell/Random House, but the two on sale at Smashwords seem to be later in the series and seem to be self-published. If I had to guess from the pictures and comments, these seem to be sort of chick-lit mysteries. Unfortunate seems to be a short story (one reviewer says it isn’t complete), but is free with coupon RE100, and Uncorked is half off a list price of $7.99 with REW50.

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/110383
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/117764

Terry Odell has some books previously published by Five Star, which seem to be romantic suspense. There’s a collection of short stories, Finding Fire, free with RE100 coupon, and Finding Sarah is 50% off a list price of $2.99 with code REW50. Also, When Danger Calls, the first in the “Blackthorne Covert Ops” series (although the author says via SYKM that the order isn’t too important), is not on sale, but is only $0.99.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/91298
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/91297
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/27275

And William Manchee has a series with Stan Turner, a law student/lawyer (apparently with a brief stint in the Marine Corps too), previously published in paperback by Top Publications (?). I didn't check them all, but the first three in the series, Undaunted, Disillusioned, and Brash Endeavor, at least, are 50% off.

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/136358
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/138000
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/136567

And thanks, ATDrake, for the Nicholson tip – I remember reading one of hers a while back, and will pick up the $0.99 one and the one on sale.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Great idea for a thread.
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
Great idea for a thread.
I second that
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:10 AM   #8
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Well, if you think you can get in any last minute purchases:

Stephen Booth is a UK crime writer who's been published by Little & Brown. He offers one free-with-coupon novella, and 50% off a novel which he says was "a finalist for the Crime Writers' Association's Debut Dagger Award in 1998".

Randall Luce quotes a Publisher's Weekly review for his free-with-coupon historical mystery set in New Orleans.

Stephen D. Rogers says he has a Derringer Award and offers a free-with-coupon collection of solve-it-yourself mystery shorts.

D.L. Kung claims to have been a reporter in China for over 20 years. Very likely pure self-pub, but the 1st in their Hong Kong set series is free with coupon and looks interesting. 25% off the sequels.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:08 AM   #9
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Eh.... ?

[QUOTE=ATDrake;1999540].........says he has a Derringer Award and offers a free-with-coupon collection of solve-it-yourself mystery shorts.........QUOTE

Specially written "solve it yourself " mysteries ??

I do that [ well, try... ] with every mystery, crime, fantasy, historical, et al .... I read - are these for particilarly unimaginative readers or something ?
Or do they have some trick that makes them much more difficult/easy/involved than "normal" mysteries ?
And "shorts" as well....

Sorry, don't really see the point.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #10
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
They're fun. Really quick reads if you're going to have a short wait somewhere, like the dentist's office, etc.

I also have a paperback of three-minute mysteries that I used to read to the kids as bedtime stories.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
carpetmojo
Wizard

A whole new world is out there, it would seem.
Forget the dentist, by the way....
That's me in a quivering wreck in the corner..........
Being sneered at by my son.....