Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
shaunconn
shaunconn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
TOC in recipes

Hi

I'm trying to setup my e-reader as the place to view my 20 or so regular RSS feeds. If I create a new recipe and add the feeds to it, the TOC shows one entry per feed, which means I get 200 pages of "CNET" followed by 200 pages of "CBR", none of which is indexed.

If I set them up as individual recipes, instead of tagging them all under RSS, calibre automatically assigns the feed name in the tag, giving me dozens of collections (which I don't want).

Whats the best way of doing this - I want a single collection on the Sony PRS-505 (called, say RSS) containing all my feeds, with each indexed.

Regards/Thanks
shaunconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The main TOC will have one entry per feed but the sub-TOC will have an entry for each article in each feed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
shaunconn

Hi

Using the Google reader recipe gives me a collection on the e-reader called "Google Reader".

It has a TOC with one item per google reader title (I have google reader folder). When I go into the folder (e.g. Photo) it shows me page 1 of 147 pages of articles from the 4 feeds I have in the folder "Photo" from my google reader account. These are links (is this the sub TOC?), but they're not seperated into the 4 feeds, there's just pages and pages of links, presumably from all the photo feeds.

If I want one TOC per feed should I remove the folders from google reader?

Regards
Shaun
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah no the google reader recipe has that limitation. However, if you create a custom recipe and just add your feeds to it, it will create the sub tocs as I indicated before.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
shaunconn

Hi

Or if I remove my google folders and just have all the feeds at top level, will it do the same thing - it seems like it should!?

I'm trying to avoid a custom recipe where I can!

Regards/Thanks

Shaun
Advert
Old 03-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You'd have to try it and see, I don't remember the details of how the google reader recipe works
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
shaunconn

Hi

This seems to achieve what I need - however, all the feeds are now empty (but they're showing unread items when I browse to google reader on my machine).

Is there a limit to the update frequency from google reader via calibre?

Regards/TIA

Shaun
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

IIRC it only downloads starred feeds
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #9
shaunconn

Hi

Surely not - you have to manually star a feed in google reader :-)

I think it actually downloaded some messages earlier today, but with all my playing and redownloading it seems to have stopped...

:-(

Appreciate the help btw!

Shaun