Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
kolijoco
kolijoco began at the beginning.

Device: sony ps-505
prs 505 epub font embedding troubles

i've read just about all the threads i could google up on this, found some information to be contradicting, and non working for me. my problem is - the usual -, some international characters (double accented o's and u's - yep, hungarian) not showing up... in epubs.

here's how far i got. i used prscust, to install/enable the unicode fonts. as a result, the characters in question now render correctly in txt-s and rtf-s. (so i guess my replacing LRF fonts worked.) but epubs still don't work (i understand from my googling that epubs use a different set of fonts).

so i installed prs+, and enabled the "FontsAsInLRF.css" option. still not working.

again based on google, i tried to build my epub using calibre. i use the same text in the body of start.xhtml as my test text/rtf. so thats a check. i link my css, which is the following:

Code:
@font-face {font-family: 'serif1';src:url('res:///Data/fonst/tt0011m_.ttf')} 
@font-face {font-family: 'sans-serif1';src:url('res:///Data/fonts/tt0003m_.ttf')} 
body{font-family: 'serif1'}
p {font-family: 'serif1'}
h1 {font-family: 'sans-serif1'}
and here is my start.xhtml:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en">
<head>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">
  <title>Teszttestz</title>
</head>
<h1>Tesztme</h1>
<body>
  tem bő félóra és jön az első attem
</body>
</html>
the page displayed is empty (and yes, it displays ?-s instead of my wonky chars if i don't mess with the fonts in the css). i'm thinking the fonts on the device are not addressed correctly. i've seen variations on the url path in different threads, like: src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf), but that didn't work either. i'm pretty sure i'm missing the path...

so if anyone has any suggestions on how i could make this work, please help me!

(i realize this is an older device, and i've been fine reading just english on it for all these years, but hey... i like it)

Last edited by kolijoco; 12-02-2014 at 12:39 PM.
kolijoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:55 AM   #2
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Unlike PDFs or TXTs, which use the default system font, ePubs may point to a different one, either embedded or external (that could be one of the preinstalled ones, or a custom one).

So, either your ePub doesn't point to the right font, or the font you're using doesn't have these diacritics.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #3
kolijoco

yep... i understand. thats exactly my question: how do i point my epub to the "builtin" fonts used by lrf. what url do i need to specify in css @font-face so the "builtin" fonts are picked up?
Old 12-04-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For my T1/T3 I use this path
@font-face {font-family: serif; font-weight: normal; font-style: normal; src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/AmasisMTW1G.otf)}

For previous models the path is different IIRC.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:50 AM   #5
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolijoco View Post
@font-face {font-family: 'serif1';src:url('res:///Data/fonst/tt0011m_.ttf')}
@font-face {font-family: 'sans-serif1';src:url('res:///Data/fonts/tt0003m_.ttf')}
body{font-family: 'serif1'}
p {font-family: 'serif1'}
h1 {font-family: 'sans-serif1'}
There is a typo in your definitition
Advert
Old 12-04-2014, 02:36 PM   #6
kolijoco

ok finally got it to work, with the path from prs+'s override css (which didn't really do the trick for any of my epubs when activated from the settings menu). but adding the references to the pubs did the trick, so here it goes:

pages_styles.css
Code:
@page {
    margin-bottom: 5pt;
    margin-top: 5pt
    }
@font-face {
    font-family: "myfont";
    src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0011m_.ttf);
    }
@font-face {
    font-family: "myotherfont";
    src: url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0003m_.ttf)
    }
@font-face {
    font-family: "mythirdfont";
    src:url(res:///opt/sony/ebook/FONT/tt0419m_.ttf);
}
stylesheet.css:

Code:
.calibre {
    display: block;
    font-family: "myfont";
    font-size: 1em;
    padding-left: 0;
    padding-right: 0;
    margin: 0 0pt
    }
.calibre1 {
    font-family: "myotherfont";
    }
.calibre2 {
    font-family: "mythirdfont";
    }
start.xhtml:
Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en" xml:lang="en">
  <head>
    <title>Teszteree</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
  <link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
<link href="page_styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
  <body>
    <p class="calibre">árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép</p>
    <p class="calibre1">árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép</p>
    <p class="calibre2">árvíztűrő tükörfúrógép</p>
  </body>
</html>
Old 12-05-2014, 05:25 AM   #7
Ghitulescu
Fanatic

Adding in calibre the fonts into the Extra CSS box is useful only in the beginning.

For predefined fonts, the editing of CSS files is more than enough. No conversion needed. Also no Extra CSS needed. But the predefined (stock) fonts have to contain the needed characters.

Tags
505, embedding, epub, font