Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 12:56 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've found a non-fiction book from a rather good author worth winning the month. Now all we need are two nods and the winner can be voted on when the vote comes to be.

Quote:
The alimentary canal—the much-maligned tube from mouth to rear—is as taboo, in its way, as the cadavers in Stiff, and as surreal as the universe of zero gravity explored in Packing for Mars. In Gulp we meet the scientists who tackle the questions no one else thinks—or has the courage—to ask. How much can you eat before your stomach bursts? Why doesn't the stomach digest itself? Can wine tasters really tell a $10 bottle from a $100 bottle? Why is crunchy food so appealing? Can constipation kill you? Did it kill Elvis? We go on location to a pet food taste-test lab, a fecal transplant, and into a live stomach to observe the fate of a meal. Like all of Roach's books, Gulp is as much about human beings as it is about human bodies.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 AM   #17
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Well, that was easy. I just copied your nomination of Gulp from last year into the list. Roach is a good writer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #18
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Third Your Inner Fish.

Second The Bible Unearthed.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:10 AM   #19
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'll second Gulp.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since 2014 is the 100-year anniversary of the beginning of WWI, I nominate Rites of Spring: The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age by Modris Eksteins.

Quote:
A rare and remarkable cultural history of World War I that unearths the roots of modernism

Dazzling in its originality, Rites of Spring probes the origins, impact, and aftermath of World War I, from the premiere of Stravinsky's ballet The Rite of Spring in 1913 to the death of Hitler in 1945. Recognizing that “The Great War was the psychological turning point . . . for modernism as a whole,” author Modris Eksteins examines the lives of ordinary people, works of modern literature, and pivotal historical events to redefine the way we look at our past and toward our future.
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00938QQD0

Kobo: http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/ebo...es-of-spring-1
It is discountable with a coupon, but may be a kepub.

Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/books/...d=FF_Pj5I0JC0C

B&N: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/rite...=9780547525525

Rites of Spring is also available on Overdrive.

Last edited by BelleZora; 06-24-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Advert
Old 06-24-2014, 09:20 AM   #21
BelleZora
Wizard

Third Gulp.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 06-24-2014 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Strike inadvertent illegal 4th vote.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, that was easy. I just copied your nomination of Gulp from last year into the list. Roach is a good writer.
So far (IMHO), the best book so far nominated.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You left out the link to Barnes&Nobel...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gulp...tm=1&usri=gulp
Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #24
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Rites of Spring is fantastic. Second.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #25
BelleZora
Wizard

Oops, my enthusiasm for helping achieve some thread momentum overwhelmed my ability to count, and I have used an illegal four nominations. Please feel free to remove whichever one you choose, Tom.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #26
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You left out the link to Barnes&Nobel...

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gulp...tm=1&usri=gulp
No, you did. I don't supply links unless they are supplied in the nominations. You didn't provide any with yours this year, and the ones I included were copied from your nomination of the same book last year. But I will add it, now that you've supplied it.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:01 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
Oops, my enthusiasm for helping achieve some thread momentum overwhelmed my ability to count, and I have used an illegal four nominations. Please feel free to remove whichever one you choose, Tom.
I'll take away the last one, whichever it is.

EDIT:
It appears it was for Gulp, so Gulp still needs a third.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #28
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I support

Rites of Spring: The Great War and the Birth of the Modern Age by Modris Eksteins.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #29
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm going to nominate a sports book - The Glory of Their Times by Lawrence Ritter.

When baseball great Ty Cobb died in 1961, Ritter got the idea to interview the few remaining contemporaries of Cobb before they too all died. The result was a highly respected best seller, an oral history.

"Almost perfect . . . a vivid, gentle, and humorous narrative, accompanied by marvelous photographs." - The New Yorker

"Easily the best baseball book ever produced by anyone." -- -- Cleveland Plain Dealer

"I could happily reread every summer for the rest of my life that greatest of all baseball books..." -- -- Stephen Jay Gould, The New York Times Book Review

"Quite simply the best sports book in recent memory." -- -- Wilfrid Sheed, The New York Times Book Review

"The single best baseball book of all time." -- -- Red Barber

"There's not a dull moment in the whole book." -- The Raleigh (N.C.) News and Observer

"The Glory of Their Times will be around as long as baseball." -- -- Nelson Algren

http://www.amazon.com/The-Glory-Thei...283155&s=books

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/glor...=9780061994715
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #30
Lutraa
Well Read
Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lutraa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK 3G, K4B, Nook HD+, Galaxy S3
Quote:
I'll take away the last one, whichever it is.

EDIT:
It appears it was for Gulp, so Gulp still needs a third.
I will third "Gulp." Want to maintain my Mary Roach streak -- she is fun.
Lutraa is offline   Reply With Quote