Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
James Hogan

I was examining some of the oldest Baen monthly bundles when I saw a book calling James Hogan one of the greatest Sci-Fi authors. Unfortunately I have never encountered any of his writing. This is one of the reasons that I am buying the bundles, to get a cross section of all of the Sci-fi authors and become familiar with all of the greatest authors both living and recently past away. What book or books is James Hogan best known for? I will have to go out and get a copy of his greatest work.

Last edited by jbcohen; 02-24-2012 at 07:53 AM.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
dgillette.rm
Connoisseur
dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dgillette.rm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Gentle Giants of Ganamede(sp) series is what I think he is best known for. I like The Two Faces of Tomorrow and the Code of the Lifemaker pair as well.
dgillette.rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #3
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I was examining some of the oldest Baen monthly bundles when I saw a book calling James Hogan one of the greatest Sci-Fi authors. Unfortunately I have never encountered any of his writing. This is one of the reasons that I am buying the bundles, to get a cross section of all of the Sci-fi authors and become familiar with all of the greatest authors both living and recently past away. What book or books is James Hogan best known for? I will have to go out and get a copy of his greatest work.
Check out the Baen Free Library.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
I remember being rather fond of "The Genesis Machine". I thought the first book in his Giant Series, Inherit the Stars was really good. The later books in the series were good, but became increasingly less about science and a bit more like space opera.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
James Hogan bought into a few too many nutty ideas in recent years for my tastes. Some of his stories became more about pushing the nutty ideas than about being good stories.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
James Hogan bought into a few too many nutty ideas in recent years for my tastes. Some of his stories became more about pushing the nutty ideas than about being good stories.
Yep, his early books were good. The later stories not good.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
IcecreamLtDan
Groupie
IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.IcecreamLtDan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite, Kobo wireless, Kobo Glo
Yes, I've been rereading the Giant's series myself and am about halfway through "Mission to Minerva". He does seem to want to push his agenda a bit hard at times, but overall I've enjoyed the series though I think he would have been best to stop at the third book. I've never read any of his other works and have been wondering if I should and which ones to try.
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
I loved James Hogan's books back in the day. Downloaded The Two Faces of Tomorrow from Baen for free. It's on my TBR list - it will be interesting to see if it aged well.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
His Gentle Giants series was the 1st thing by him that I've read. Haven't really read much of his works besides that yet.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I understand that checking the free library is probably the best way to be familiar with his work with the minimum amount of dollar investment, however I want to start with his best first and I think that I will look into Inherit the Stars in a little while. I have a John Dalmas that I am working my way through and then some David Weber to go first but I will get around to downloading and reading some of the Inherit the Stars.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote