Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 07:09 AM   #1
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation iOS 5

For those who haven't heard yet, Apple has just announced the next major version of iOS. It will reportedly include over 200 new features, including an overhauled notification system which now more closely resembles Android's.

Details can be found here:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/a...l-the-details/
http://www.engadget.com/wwdc-2011/ap...ds-on-preview/

I must say this makes the iPhone look a whole lot more attractive to me now. What are your thoughts?

Last edited by Dylrob; 06-07-2011 at 07:17 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
The best feature for me is losing that stupid cheap cable. It's about time they had wireless synching.

And why is it releasing so late?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The best feature for me is losing that stupid cheap cable. It's about time they had wireless synching.

And why is it releasing so late?
My random guess would be that they may be releasing it with a new iPhone model (iPhone 4S?), as that is anticipated at about that time.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:52 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
My random guess would be that they may be releasing it with a new iPhone model (iPhone 4S?), as that is anticipated at about that time.

Cheers,
Marc
That makes sense, since the phone is also releasing late.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
To what extent do you think apple products are becoming knock offs of other products? Some of my apple user friends are complaining that apple is moving to be more like Android and is therefore becoming less of an independent company and more of a off shoot of the Windows market. Do you feel that apple is cost competitive with the overall computer market, from a best value standpoint? Yahoo Answers has stated that the average price for a PC is $1,100 and a Mac $9K, some of my apple user friends are complaining about the price tags on their favorite apple products.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

I personally don't care for the cloud at all, so I hope there is a kill switch for iCloud. I never want my personal docs, pictures, etc. stored where I cannot have total control of them. Nor do I trust the security of ANY cloud, nor the reliability. I personally was underwhelmed by the whole iCloud and iOS 5 presentation. If anything it raises more concerns for me than anything else.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #7
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Yes, you can very easily 'OPP OUT' of the cloud service. The average price of Windows PC vs MAC is not so different. It's more like 1k to 2k and not 1k to 9k. You are paying extra for style and the OS. People who make their own Hackintosh lose the style but still have a functioning OSX.

Last edited by pagansoul; 06-07-2011 at 11:03 AM.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
The average price of Windows PC vs MAC is not so different. It's more like 1k to 2k and not 1k to 9k. You are paying extra for style and the OS.
That's true. However, I'd still consider that a big difference.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 06-07-2011 at 04:01 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
To what extent do you think apple products are becoming knock offs of other products? Some of my apple user friends are complaining that apple is moving to be more like Android ....
Well Steve Jobs did say it was the year of the copy cats. I suppose he wasn't lying.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Well Steve Jobs did say it was the year of the copy cats. I suppose he wasn't lying.

=X=
Others certainly copy Apple and Apple copies others. It is the way the industry as a whole advances. Hopefully the best ideas move forward. It has been said that copying is the sincerest form of flattery. This provides the user will choice.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Others certainly copy Apple and Apple copies others. It is the way the industry as a whole advances. Hopefully the best ideas move forward. It has been said that copying is the sincerest form of flattery. This provides the user will choice.

Dale
Yes copying is human nature and a process that usually improves or cripples industry. I just laugh when people steal ideas from competitors and cry foul when their ideas are stolen. Unless your in a vacuum somebody else ideas are going to have an influence on your own.

Apple has taken a lot of good ideas from Android on v5 and that is good for Apple since they've copies some Android best features.(except notification... I still think BlackBery had a better system). However BB wasn't left out as their iMessenger is a knock off of BBM.

Till this day I'm still hoping Android copies apples text selection, I really do not like what exist for Android today.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #12
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Till this day I'm still hoping Android copies apples text selection, I really do not like what exist for Android today.

=X=
I find gingerbread's copy paste system superior to iOS.
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I'm not sure why Android fans are so up in arms about this. As you so eloquently state, it goes both ways.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 06-09-2011 at 03:35 AM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
I'm not sure why Android fans are so up in arms about this. As you so eloquently state, it goes both ways.
I think the reason for the media reaction is summed up in this paragraph about the context of these articles from your third link:

Quote:
In April, Apple sued Samsung, claiming its Android devices are copycats because they’re rectangular and use icons. In October they sued Motorola claiming Motorola stole ideas such as multitouch. Last March they sued HTC for ideas like swipe-to-unlock. Steve Jobs wrote “We think competition is healthy, but competitors should create their own original technology, not steal ours”.
It may well go both ways, and it's great for all of us when it does, but don't crow about copied features on the one hand and slap down lawsuits on the other.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #15
jswinden
Nameless Being

The original Mac OS concept of a GUI with mouse control was stolen wholesale from Xerox. It is pretty much common in industry to copycat that which sells and/or works best. It certainly helps us consumers because we don't have to wait while each company attempts to reinvent the wheel.